Menu

P0003a code on a 20011 Gmc 2500hd

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here P0003a code on a 20011 Gmc 2500hd

• Creator
    Topic
    Ray ThomasRay Thomas
    Participant

Have a p0003a code, am away from home (New Mexico) in Wyoming antelope hunting. Truck seems to be running fine, is this something I should worry about or should I take it to Casper to the dealer?
      Thanks, Martin Thomas

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

While a vehicle can still run once the P003A code has registered, the excessive range of motion of the vane within the turbo- or supercharger can ultimately harm other components, such as push rods or rockers. It is therefore inadvisable to continue driving a vehicle that has triggered the P003A code, and you should seek professional assistance in diagnosing and repairing the issue before the potential costs of the fix increase exponentially due to spreading damage.

Ray ThomasRay Thomas
        Participant

Thanks, it is 68 miles to Casper, do you think I should have it towed or just drive it? I drove it quite a bit yesterday.

Participant

If you plan on driving to the shop, I would suggest you take it very easy as to not to put any strain on the system.
            Best to avoid an expensive repair at all costs.

Ray ThomasRay Thomas
            Participant

I think I’ll go ahead and have it towed. I drove a lot yesterday and what ever it is it will be big bucks to fix it. Wish I was home I think I could do it myself.
              Thanks for the help.
              Martin

Participant

Best of luck and keep us posted on how you make out.

Ray ThomasRay Thomas
                Participant

Well, had it towed to Casper Wyoming, cost $430.00. Their scan tool said it was a bad turbo, cost $4500.00. Went home to New Mexico and returned when it was done, cost $900.00. In hindsight I think it would of been ok to drive it. I wish I could have taken my truck and 5th wheel home cause I think I could have fixed it myself. Removed the turbo, freed up the vanes in the turbo, maybe replaced the actuator and put it back in. I’m in the process of putting a lift pump in and I’m using a lubricity additive in the fuel because the next thing to go will be the injection pump and it will take out the whole fuel system at a cost of between $10,000.00 and $12,000.00. I’ve read a bunch of horror stories about the cp4 pump going south. I’ve got to much money in this truck now so I’ll drive it till it dies. Pretty expensive trip to Wyoming.
                  Thanks for help
                  Ray

Participant

Glad to hear you got it sorted out, through sorry to hear about the cost.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…