Menu

Poor man’s chassis ear

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Repair Central-The ‘How To’ Forum Poor man’s chassis ear

• Creator
    Topic
    KukuKuku
    Participant

While trying to figure out where does my “clunks” are coming from, I’ve used a some really cheap microphones, cords and USB sound devices off ebay that turned out to work really well, (see the attached image)

My shopping list was –
      1$ USB Sound device
      1$ Microphone (even comes with clip so it’s easy to hook to suspension parts)
      1$ 3meters cord so you wind your wire all the way to the notebook in the cabin
      Multiple that by the amount of USB ports you have and there you go – my version of a chassis ear

I’ve hooked up my mics to the left side hub, right side hub and right side top strut (I only have 3 USB ports for the matter)
      Just by looking at the sound waves you immediately know that the clunks are coming from the right side hub area, further investigation (I hooked them to the upper and lower control arms and shoved one mic into a hole in the hub) turned out to be a bad wheel bearing after carefully listening to each channel….

Good luck!

Attachments:
    Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      BryanBryan
      Participant

Awesome. I joined just to be able to comment on this.

I ordered four of each.

Curious: what program did you use? Is that a Mac screen or a Windows screen?

KukuKuku
        Participant

I’m glad you found it useful, the software is called “Audacity”, You can find it here : http://audacityteam.org/

SteveSteve
          Participant

I also thought this was awesome. I’ve purchased 4 usb sound devices and the mics and tried to set it up but audacity appears to only want to receive input from 1 device at a time. I can’t see a way to associate a device with a track to achieve what you have done. My searches on audacity suggest it needs more hardware. Any more tips?

KukuKuku
            Participant

I did not use Audacity to record, Since I’m using Linux this is the command line I ran to record all three channels to different files :

#/bin/bash
              gst-launch-1.0 -v alsasrc device=hw:1,0 ! audioconvert ! vorbisenc ! oggmux ! filesink location=/tmp/frontdiff.ogg &
              gst-launch-1.0 -v alsasrc device=hw:2,0 ! audioconvert ! vorbisenc ! oggmux ! filesink location=/tmp/transfer.ogg &
              gst-launch-1.0 -v alsasrc device=hw:3,0 ! audioconvert ! vorbisenc ! oggmux ! filesink location=/tmp/reardiff.ogg

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…