Menu

Popular Mechanics Tools by Wal-Mart

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk Popular Mechanics Tools by Wal-Mart

• Creator
    Topic
    Harold SmithHarold Smith
    Participant

About 15 years ago, I bought a bunch of PM Tools at Wal-Mart. They have quit selling them along time ago. They are some good tools, and the only problem I ever had was a ratchet busted on me. I took it back to Wal-Mart and since they stopped selling PM Tools, they replaced it with a Stanley Ratchet. Is anyone still selling PM Tools, or are they under another name? :unsure:

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Kevin CriswellKevin Criswell
      Participant

PM were good tools. Don’t know what replaced them, I thought it was the Goodwrench series, but could be wrong.

Harold SmithHarold Smith
        Participant

I believe your right and they can be had at O’ Rallies banana: .

Kevin CriswellKevin Criswell
          Participant

Yeah, that’s were I get mine. I have used PM, Pittsburgh Pro, Craftsman and Goodwrench tools for a while now and I like ’em. Been teased by other techs for using less expensive tools than Snap-on, but hey I watched them spend 50% or more of their paychecks to the Snap-on guy weekly, no thanks.

I always tell them I work to make me money, not the Snap-on guy.

Harold SmithHarold Smith
            Participant

This is true, I use Pittsburgh,GM,and my old PM. They are holding up well. I’ve seen Snap-on tools break just as easy others, in fact; I’ve seen Snap-on sockets bust when my Pittsburgh didn’t. Yes, Snap-on is a good tool, but there are off name brands out there that are just as good and cheaper. If you ask me, Snap-on is wayyyyyy over priced.

WilliamWilliam
              Participant

The only tools I’ll buy from Matco/Snap-On are the tools I will use A LOT, and I will not buy sockets from them– ratchets, wrenches, pliers, and good precision tools like torque wrenches and micrometers. The rest of my tools come from the price-saving stores. Because, like you said, and it’s not an opinion, Matco/Snap-On are way overpriced. It’s sickening sometimes.

Harold SmithHarold Smith
                Participant

Hell, even Craftsman went way down hill. I was looking at my dads old Craftsman tools he bought back in the 50’s and 60’s; they are far better than the ones produced today.

Robert McMahangaseousmercury
                  Participant

I agree with that. Craftsman sent their production to China and its been downhill ever since. I buy used snapon/MATCO/MAC on ebay. I agree the price is hyped but the quality is there. I buy used because with a lifetime warranty what does it really matter. As Far as PM is concerned you might want to check out True Value stores. I worked for them years ago and they sold them. They have “Master Mechanic” line too. They’re comparable to stanley. Have you bough anything new lately

Harold SmithHarold Smith
                    Participant

I’ve bought Pittsburgh tools not to long ago.

Nick RedmonNick Redmon
                      Participant

Hey guys new to the website and sadly I’ve never really been a tool guy, or one of that knows a lot about them or fixing things in general.. never really had a dad to show me the normal stuff guys should know growing up and I wish that wasn’t the case but I had an amazing mom and I can’t change the brakes on a car, but you bet your ass I can whip up some of the best home cooking you’d ever eat! 😆.. Anyways guys not trying to drag this on but my dad just died and he has some stuff in his garage I’m trying to sell what looks decent and he has a “Poplar Mechanics: 33PCS SAE & Metric â…œ” Drive Socket Set” and it’s looks like it’s almost never been used before. I can’t find much online about it. Want to see how much it might be worth or what a good asking price would be for them without getting ripped off or sounding like a moron lol. If anyone has any ideas please! Im all ears!! Thanks Guys!

Nick RedmonNick Redmon
                        Participant

Now that I look I realize no one has made a response in idk… 7 YEARS!!! AHHHHHH IM DOOMED🤦

Alex MckenzieAlex Mckenzie
                          Participant

I am sure that you can find other options all over the internet.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Loading…