Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • proper short block cleaning before reassembly

proper short block cleaning before reassembly

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here proper short block cleaning before reassembly

• Creator
    Topic
    Chris GramzaChris Gramza
    Participant

Good day. I disassembled my 351C to get some head work done. What is the best method and with what products should I clean the mating surfaces and cylinder bores before I slap on the fresh heads? The 351C is a short block with cam bearings installed. Shall I use brake clean? ATF? And should I oil the cylinders before placing the heads on?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Assuming pistons and cam are installed.
        For cleaning the mating decks and heads, careful use of a carbide scraper.
        If there is stubborn gasket residue, might try WD-40 and a scotch brite pad.
        Always care not to cause damage to the gasket surfaces.
        Use link free cleaning cloth and brake clean or acetone.
        If the cylinders have had any machine work done, flush out completely with a solvent (IE kerosene) then with acetone or brake clean and coat with a oil (light weight engine oil, WD-40 etc.) to prevent rusting prior to assembly.

Chris GramzaChris Gramza
        Participant

Thanks for the tips and product recommendations. I bathed the short block with non aerosol WD-40 and bagged it to prevent rust while I wait on the machine shop.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…