Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Rack and Pinion Dust Boot/Air Transfer Hose – 1991 Acura Integra LS Hatchback

Rack and Pinion Dust Boot/Air Transfer Hose – 1991 Acura Integra LS Hatchback

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Rack and Pinion Dust Boot/Air Transfer Hose – 1991 Acura Integra LS Hatchback

• Creator
    Topic
    KenKen
    Participant

Hello,

I’m trying to connect the air transfer hose back to the new dust boot from the rack and pinion’s driver side on my 1991 Acura Integra LS Hatchback with 186,807 miles. In the beginning, I removed the splash shield to get access to the driver’s side rack and pinion dust boot. and removed the clamp from the boot. After I removed it, there were things connected to the rack and pinion, which makes it difficult for me to reach the hose connected to the boot. I somehow managed to detach the air transfer hose when removing the boot. I removed the boot from the inner tie rod (which had a lot of play and the boot was torn), unbended the ends of the lock washer, and removed it with a tie rod removal tool and a 1/2 inch breaker bar.

On the new inner tie rod I applied some blue threadlocker on the threads, installed it with the inner tie rod tool, and torqued it to 40 ft-lbs. Then I bended the ends of the new lock washer the best way I can since the flat stops on the flange were diagonal. I applied grease on the inner ends of the new rack and pinion dust boot for easy installation and installed it to the steering rack through the inner tie rod. Because it was difficult for me to attach the hose back to the new dust boot, I had to install the outer tie rod to partially complete the process. After I done that, the last tasks was to attach the hose back to the new boot.

As I mentioned earlier there were things connected to the rack and pinion in the way, which made it difficult for me to reach the hose on the driver’s side. I tried to use the hose grip to grip the hose and attach it to the boot, but it didn’t go all the way. Is there another way to go about reaching the hose from the rack and pinion so I can attach it back to the new dust boot?

Thanks.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Loading…