Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Replaced alternator, have same problem as before

Replaced alternator, have same problem as before

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Replaced alternator, have same problem as before

• Creator
    Topic
    Chad KiserChad Kiser
    Participant

This morning my wife’s 2007 Kia Sorento LX wouldn’t start. Checked battery voltage and it was 9.9v, I jumped it, and got it running. Was going to follow her into town on the way to work to swap out the battery. Almost as soon as she left the driveway she pulled off onto the shoulder. “it lurched and the dash lite up” according to her. I got behind the wheel and that’s exactly what happened. Loss of power and the check engine, ABS, Brake, ESC off & ESC light come on. They go off almost immediately and power picks back up. Happens a few more times as I limp it back home. Check the voltage with it running and it’s only about 12.5. It’s the Alternator I think, so the closest one in stock is a reman’d one. Pick it up and tackle replacing it after work. That 2 prong plug on the back is a bear to disconnect. Get everything back together and jump it again to get it running. Check voltage and it’s 14.5. Hook up my ODBII reader and load Torque on my phone. Watching the voltage in Torque I go for a test drive and it’s doing the exact same thing as before. Loss of power and all the same lights. When that happens the voltage is dropping to 9 volts. I’m done for the day so I’m looking for advice. I plan on checking for loose grounds tomorrow and getting the battery checked at the local parts store. I may have them check the removed alternator while I’m at it. Did I get a bad reman’d alternator, or is it something much worse?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

If you had to jump the car to start it then the battery is either bad or needs to be recharged. The alternator will not
        charge a dead battery. No codes stored? There’s a 150 amp fuse at the battery. check to see its not blown.

Chad KiserChad Kiser
        Participant

Update and it seems to be fixed

Jumped it again this morning and drove into town watching volts in Torque the whole time fluctuate from 9.9 to 15.9. Went to the parts store where the battery was still under warranty. Turn it off and had them come out and check it, it was so low the meter wouldn’t work, tried to jump start it again and not enough juice in my pack or the stores pack. With 3 months left on the warranty they replaced it free of charge. New battery installed and now the voltage is stable at 13.8-14 while driving. I’m going to chalk this one up to a teaching moment for myself and anyone else who’s read this.

college mancollege man

Glad you got it.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…