Menu

Rotor rubbing one spot on rotation

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Rotor rubbing one spot on rotation

• Creator
    Topic
    Dylan ChaseDylan Chase
    Participant

Have a 2011 Camry we 2.5L. Have rear disc brakes with the drum for the parking brake style. Replaced rear parking brake hardware, shoes, rotors. Now when spinning it before putting caliper brackets or anything else on. I spin it and it’s contacting at one point. I have taken at the guts out and have just had the rotor on without any brake shoes or hardware and doesn’t rub the backing plate. With the shoes on it does. Didn’t before the change. Please, any thoughts/ suggestions!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Ok …
        A few things here…
        If you have the original rotors, try assembling the new brakes and hardware and see if the rubbing still occurs.
        If it does, the issue is either the new brakes shoes or the new hardware.
        If there is no rubbing, the issue has to do with the replacement rotors.
        Might also give a good visual inspect on the backing plate to see if it is bent.

You could also mark up the inside of the rotor with a large magic marker and spin the rotor and look for wear mark on both the rotor and assembled brake assembly.

Dylan ChaseDylan Chase
        Participant

Tried it with the old rotor. Still does it. Also tried it with the old pads. Still does it. The new hardware seems to be holding firm but could try that. I have removed all the parking brake shoes and hardware and the rotor spins just fine against the backing plate. No rubbing. Just rubs with it on. All contact points for the shoes are clean and anti seize put on. Not sure if it’s even really contacting the shoe as it seems to do it wheather I have grinder the pads to to make sure it wasn’t them and like i said I tried my old ones. Set my adjustments. Tried backing adjuster all the way off. Still does it. Tomorrow I’m gonna take the rotors to where I got them to make sure there true. Or have them true them and try that.

Dylan ChaseDylan Chase
          Participant

Will try the marker idea to

Participant

Tried it with the old rotor. Still does it. Also tried it with the old pads. Still does it.

I assume you used the new hardware… if so then the issue is with the new hardware.

Dylan ChaseDylan Chase
              Participant

Could be. I’m gonna check them for true anyway. Use the marker idea first though. To try to pin point. Worst case I replace the hardware again. Will update finding. Do you think whiteout, or whiteout tape could work better being that it would come off and leave white on the part that’s scraping

Participant

Do you think whiteout, or whiteout tape could work better being that it would come off and leave white on the part that’s scraping

It may work, I’ve never used it for that purpose so I really don’t know how well it would work.
                  Just be sure to thoroughly clean all parts when your done.

Dylan ChaseDylan Chase
                  Participant

Had rotors turned. We’re warped from factory. Put another set of lower profile shoes on. Still was slightly rubbing. Drove on them to wear them into shape and it completely demolished the half of the shoes forward the rear on both sides. Had just bought the car used and called Toyota of Louisville were I got it and they said they will fix the situation at no cost surprisingly. We’ll see I guess. Still have no idea besides bad hardware. Was a Dorman set of hardware. Never had problem with any of there stuff till now if indead it was their stuff causing the problem. Dunno

Participant

Hate to say it …
                      But Dorman isn’t world renowned for the greatest quality parts available.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…