Menu

rust on coil packs?

• Creator
    Topic
    AntonAnton
    Participant

Hi!

I heard Eric talk about this in his first CRV service vid.

I think I may have this but I am unsure. I have 0 problems with the car.
      This is a D17a5 with 240 000km in a EM1 Civic sedan 2003 RHD 😛
      If I give them a wipe its all clean for a few months.

Is this a problem?

[IMG]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/Icarus123/IMAG0137.jpg[/IMG]

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      celticbhoycelticbhoy
      Participant

Only two things that I can think of:

1) Water is getting down there somehow. Make sure they are firmly installed.

2) Perhaps the spark plugs aren’t properly torqued, allowing gases to escape?

Were the coil packs and spark plugs exceptionally easy to remove?

ErinErin
        Participant

If they are building up corrosion or whatever –
          They do need to be kept clean cause that dirt on there is causing resistance that should not be there. That would eventually fry the transformer that looks to be attached directly to the plug wire.

As far as what is causing that? Not sure but yeah they need to be kept clean

AntonAnton
          Participant

[quote=”celticbhoy” post=46844]Only two things that I can think of:

1) Water is getting down there somehow. Make sure they are firmly installed.

2) Perhaps the spark plugs aren’t properly torqued, allowing gases to escape?

Were the coil packs and spark plugs exceptionally easy to remove?[/quote]

1) possible – yes. I do clean the engine bay out. They are firmly istalled. (at the nut on the VC)

2) Spark plugs are torqued correctly. There is no leaking. That I am sure.

Yes they were easy to remove. As easy as Eric did it in the vid. They have always been like this since I got the car.

AntonAnton
            Participant

[quote=”99Nightmare” post=46847]If they are building up corrosion or whatever –
              They do need to be kept clean cause that dirt on there is causing resistance that should not be there. That would eventually fry the transformer that looks to be attached directly to the plug wire.

As far as what is causing that? Not sure but yeah they need to be kept clean[/quote]

This is possible – I do wipe them down with a rag every so offen.

They just dont look like Erics K20 coil packs.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
              Keymaster

I’m guessing you’re not using NGK plugs. If that’s the case clean the coil packs, install NGK or Nippon Denso plugs and then recheck for the condition.

AntonAnton
                Participant

[quote=”EricTheCarGuy” post=47582]I’m guessing you’re not using NGK plugs. If that’s the case clean the coil packs, install NGK or Nippon Denso plugs and then recheck for the condition.[/quote]

heh Eric you guessed wrong.

I am using NGK BKR6E 11

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                  Keymaster

Interesting. I’ve seen non coated plugs cause that kind of residue but not coated plugs like NGKs. Are you in an area where there is a lot of humidity? If so this is likely the cause. The spark plug tubes are coated metal also and should not rust but I do see them rust from time to time under extreme conditions. If it were me, I’d clean the residue off, spray them with silicone spray and reinstall them. I’d then monitor the situation to see if it comes back.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…