Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Safe to cut an access hole in frame?

Safe to cut an access hole in frame?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Safe to cut an access hole in frame?

• Creator
    Topic
    H AH A
    Participant

98 civic was replacing the passenger side lower torque mount and the welded nuts inside the frame broke so the bolt just spins.

I’m not a welder or do I have access to a welding machine unfortunately. So I’m wondering if it would be safe to cut out two holes either on the side of the frame or the top rail (whichever would be best to do structurally) to get access to the nuts. I wouldn’t be able to patch the holes so that’s my concern.

Another option I was considering was just cutting the bolts and using rivnuts, but I have no experience with them and if they’d be suitable for this application? Thanks

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

I wouldn’t suggest using rivnuts, pretty sure they would hold up in that application.
        I might suggest making a patch plate with a hole drilled in it and with the correct size nut welded to it.
        Using a angle grinder or torch (which ever works best) Using the patch panel as a template.
        Mark the area, cut it out and weld the patch panel into its place.

H AH A
        Participant

You don’t think rivnuts would work? I can’t weld or have access to one. If I cut out small holes in the frame would it jeopardize the integrity of it?

I’ve read numerous posts about people who have cut access holes and reported no issues and ones that have used rivnuts with no issues, but at the same time there’s people who say not to do any of those so it’s very confusing lol

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
          Participant

First thing I assume your talking about one of the engine mounts.
            If you research on youtube about the use of rivnuts and how they function you’ll understand.
            As to cutting up the frame…
            Of course you can cut or drill it.
            But you also should restore its original structural integrity for safety reasons.
            There are a million ways to do something wrong, but very few (or one) to do it correctly.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…