Menu

Scotty Kilmer, mechanic or shill?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Scotty Kilmer, mechanic or shill?

• Creator
    Topic
    pcmdjasonpcmdjason
    Participant

I watch his videos from time to time but I wonder if he’s really doing them because he likes making videos or because he’s taking money to sell a product?

He likes to do a lot of local news stuff and he seems to have mostly one sentence fix-its for any kind of question.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 124 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      yarddog1950yarddog1950
      Participant

Scotty Kilmer is the real deal. There are “How To” videos all over YouTube. Scotty’s are among the best. I believe Eric has raised the bar. Maybe you’re familiar with the “How To” shows on TV. The ganddaddy of them was “This Old House” with Bob Villa and Norm Abrams. The sponsors paid for tools and materials in hopes viewers would buy them, and Abrams especially was accused of shilling, but beginners and veterans alike learned from those shows. There are “How To” shows for auto and motorcycle enthusiasts that provide only the same information that came in the instructions with some aftermarket part.
        The point is you have ask if Scotty Kilmer or Eric provide valuable info.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
        Participant

The last video i watched of his was enough to make me unsubscribe. It was the video of the A/C fix. I just didn’t like how he was commenting on how he doesn’t like computer controlled vehicles and such.

yarddog1950yarddog1950
          Participant

Dreamer, How about posting a link to that video. I know a few troglodytes who long for cars of the early 1960s, before ECUs and unleaded gasoline and CAFE standards. Nowadays I remain interested in engines and cars because the goal is an efficient design that balances performance and economy.

TonisherTonisher
            Participant

I personally like his video’s, I’ve even learned a thing or two. I think the information is real general not car specific. But face it most of us have had to teach are self the fundamentals of the automotive world. Video like Eric’s, Scotty’s, and real fixes real fast help people understand the fundamentals of working on a vehicle.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
              Keymaster

I wouldn’t get too down on Scotty as it takes a lot of work to produce videos like his especially if you are actually trying to repair something in addition to making the video, I think it would be safe to say that if you shoot video and do a repair it will take at least 3x as long. That said given the amount of time to produce that kind of content you need to make a living somehow and sponsorship really is the best way because the viewer doesnt’ have to pay for the video, the sponsor does. In fact as time goes on I hope to do more sponsored work but hopefully not at the expense of the content. I’ll do my best to stay ‘honest’ but we have to make a living somehow and for me I want to keep making my videos and sponsorship is one good way to accomplish this.

pcmdjasonpcmdjason
                Participant

There were one or two videos that just made me think, I don’t recall what they were about but it was something along the lines of just pour a bottle of Bob’s Mechanic in a can and you’ll be as good as new.

It seemed like he glossed over the problem.

Also one video about transmissions he said something along the lines of just buy universal ATF and use that. When we know a lot of cars are picky. Chyslers and Hondas come to mind. Maybe Mitsubishis since they just say use DiaQueen/Diamond SPIII.

I don’t doubt he’s a good mechanic but just some kind of vibe I get from him that’s a little off-putting.

Duane at RealFixesRealFast, Briansmobile1, and Eric for some reason all feel like people that you could just talk to in real life.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                  Participant

The best video’s for repairs hands down are ETCG’s videos. I enjoy watching his YouTube video’s more than car shows on T.V. I have said that many times.

Another good channel is ScannerDanner.

MattMatt
                    Participant

The last time I watched a Scotty video, he was doing a strut replacement. He was using the same set of clamps I have seen Eric use, which are DANGEROUS. He never mentioned that you might literally lose your head if you aren’t paying attention or know what you are doing. In Eric’s version, he pointed out the fact that these are dangerous tools, and what to watch out for. I pointed this out to Scotty, and he told me I had no idea what I was talking about, and essentially called me a moron. That dude is a snake-oil salesman at best. I do want to add that the guy definitely knows his stuff, and I respect him for what he does, but I have seen too many comments like, ‘Scotty, you made this clutch replacement look like a 2 hour job. Now, I have to get my car towed to a shop, and pay extra for the work’, etc. I just wish he was more interested in actually teaching all the knowledge I know he has, instead of making 3 cents off of a sponsor for a fix-all fluid of some sort.

PetePete
                      Participant

I’ve seen Scotty’s videos… There is some useful info, but I find Eric’s to be much more informative! Everybody takes on a sponsor at some point, lets just keep the content up too snuff.

jbonejbone
                        Participant

Scotty always says he will get back to us after he gets back from the asylum, a bar in town. I think he is too quick on his turials, wham bam thank u mam..Longest video i seen is prob 3min long. ETCG takes his time to show us his skills and how-to videos…I also like briansmobiles,he also takes the time to teach us and not just throw it out there

jeremyfountainjeremyfountain
                          Participant

Quoted From EricTheCarGuy:

I wouldn’t get too down on Scotty as it takes a lot of work to produce videos like his especially if you are actually trying to repair something in addition to making the video, I think it would be safe to say that if you shoot video and do a repair it will take at least 3x as long. That said given the amount of time to produce that kind of content you need to make a living somehow and sponsorship really is the best way because the viewer doesnt’ have to pay for the video, the sponsor does. In fact as time goes on I hope to do more sponsored work but hopefully not at the expense of the content. I’ll do my best to stay ‘honest’ but we have to make a living somehow and for me I want to keep making my videos and sponsorship is one good way to accomplish this.

Amen. As a newcomer to producing repair vids and also working full time is hard but I enjoy the heck out of it. If i had just half of your camera and people/talking skills I’d have it made. Thanks for all your help. Stay dirt and wrench on

jhn9840jhn9840
                            Participant

I think Eric is at the top of the automotive repair videos. In depth videos that are easy to understand and presented in a entertaining way. I like Real Fixes Real Fast you can tell Duwayne knows how to diagnose problems. Scotty Kilmer while I think he knows what he is doing glosses over the subject with out pointing to the details. I have never seen briansmobiles but I will be looking him up. I have become hooked on these repair and welding videos lately. Rather look at these then the dumb stuff on tv anymore, besides football.

jhn9840
                              John

spelunkerdspelunkerd
                              Participant

I appreciate and respect those guys willing to go through the effort of putting themselves out there, and I’ve learned a lot from all of them.

The only gripe I have is the ethical boundary when the author is plugging a product without disclosing his financial relationship with the company. You see product placement ads on TV all the time, and you can bet that youtube is next. The main reason I hate TV automotive programs is that they seem like one long infomercial.

A disclaimer as simple as a ‘brought to you by’ tag is all that is needed, from my perspective. With no disclosure of the financial relationship behind the scene, it raises questions about whether the review is accurate or motivated by unseen forces. Ultimately, with no disclosure, it is up to the audience to recognize an unbalanced review. The unique atmosphere of Youtube viewer feedback is also helpful for recognizing those controversial points. I often learn more from the comments/discussion than from the actual presentation.

Everybody has to make a living, and advertising pays for what would otherwise be very expensive presentation. As long as the reputation of the presenter remains intact, the audience will understand. A good way to maintain that reputation is to openly disclose external financial gain.

Jason Alexmckrishes
                                Participant

I am thankful for a site like this to provide informative information at no cost.

hondaslave1342hondaslave1342
                                  Participant

each his own…its all hard work, and time consuming…i have pm scotty and stated the fact his video’s are short and he responded that nobody will watch full length vids…his tire screeching intro really gets my nerves frazzled,,,W-|

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 124 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…