Menu

Seized Lock Cylinder; Replace?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Seized Lock Cylinder; Replace?

• Creator
    Topic
    Horatio RHoratio
    Participant

Hi all, the liftgate lock cylinder on our ’95 Honda Odyssey is seized up. I pulled it out today and tried squirting a bunch of penetrating oil inside it and then tried working it with the key but it didn’t loosen up at all. Has anyone had any luck freeing these things up or is it pretty much a situation of just replacing it? Also, is re-keying the replacement as simple as dropping it and the key off at a shop or is this something that needs to go to Honda specifically?

Thanks,

Greg

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      chrischris
      Participant

i would go to salvage yard and find one with a key, cheaper and quicker, prob. hardly use a key.

BillBill
        Participant

If you buy a replacement from Honda they will code it for your existing key if you ask.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

It’s not likely the dealer will rekey the lock. They would likely farm it out to a locksmith. You can get around that by getting a new lock, even if it’s used, and having it set to work with your existing key by a locksmith. Yes, they can rekey one lock to fit a different key if they have the key you want the lock to work with.

BillBill
            Participant

I just assumed that Honda could do that job for him as Ford, Chrysler and GM can do that right in the parts department.

Horatio RHoratio
              Participant

Thanks for the replies, all. Part of my concern was that the Canadian dealers have refused work on US Hondas in the past so I didn’t want to end up in a situation where I order a cylinder from the US and then can’t get anyone up here to match it to the key. If a locksmith can do the job then all is well.

That’s interesting too because I’ve been wondering if I could get my civic and Odyssey set up to use the same key.It might be too expensive to be worth the trouble but the keys look almost identical as it is so my bet is that it is possible.

Thanks again,

Greg

Keymaster

[quote=”wysetech” post=73713]I just assumed that Honda could do that job for him as Ford, Chrysler and GM can do that right in the parts department.[/quote]

Most Honda dealers farm out that work to local locksmiths. I don’t know what it is but even the key cutters at Honda dealers don’t often work. I don’t know who makes them for Honda but they sure do break a lot.

Keymaster

[quote=”Horatio” post=75624]Thanks for the replies, all. Part of my concern was that the Canadian dealers have refused work on US Hondas in the past so I didn’t want to end up in a situation where I order a cylinder from the US and then can’t get anyone up here to match it to the key. If a locksmith can do the job then all is well.

That’s interesting too because I’ve been wondering if I could get my civic and Odyssey set up to use the same key.It might be too expensive to be worth the trouble but the keys look almost identical as it is so my bet is that it is possible.

Thanks again,

Greg[/quote]

It’s a simple lock tumbler that any locksmith can work with. As for keys for multiple vehicles, that’s probably not going to work. The newer Hondas all have immobilizer systems that make it so you have to use the specific key for the vehicle your trying to start. You could get the key to open the door but not start the vehicle.

Lastly, don’t use penetrating oil in lock cylinders. It’s much better to use graphite. The liquid from the penetrating oil attracts dirt and even if you free it up, the dirt will collect and cause the same problem all over again.

Horatio RHoratio
                    Participant

Just a follow-up on this.

I found a used cylinder on e-bay (with a few other bits that made it worth the shipping and exchange from the US). I wound up taking it to a Honda dealer near work and gave them the cylinder and key. It was pretty expensive to get it set up there (I think $100) so if I have to do this again I’ll put more effort into finding a locksmith to see if it’s any cheaper. I don’t know if they farmed it out as noted above.

Other than that, it bolted right up and works great.

Greg

Keymaster

Glad to hear you got it solved. One more note. In the future the best thing to lubricate locks with is graphite. Liquid lubricants can cause dirt build up inside the mechanism.

Thanks for the update and for using the ETCG forum.

William RoyWilliam Roy
                        Participant

If you want the same key then you should visit the dealership but if you want to get the key at a low cost then you should talk with an auto locksmith.

David WilsonDavid Wilson
                          Participant

I got one from local locksmith near me and that key worked fine till now.

Kingsley kingsleyKingsley kingsley
                            Participant

Honda dealers can program the existing key also but it can trouble in the end it’s better to have it replaced either from a dealer or from an emergency locksmith near.

Keymaster

I’m also going to add this to the thread that might be helpful.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              Loading…