Menu

Starting issue…

• Creator
    Topic
    Andy WhiteAndy White
    Participant

I have a 1995 Chevy K1500 5.7 i replaced the starter this past December (2012) I also replaced the alternator this past march (2013) the bearing blew out on the alternator. I have an optima red top battery replaced in 2008 i know the battery is good i did a VAT 40. on it while in school. Anyways Just recently I got into an Accident with my truck front end damage Replaced these parts (both fenders, inner fenders, grill, headlights, fan shroud, water pump, air bag arming sensor, bumper) well anyways. I just got this back on the road and every now and then when I go out and start my truck all I get is “Click” (Started gear engaging but NOT Turning the engine over) I Continue to Make it “Click” and after a bit of “Clicking” She finally Cranks over and truck starts. doesn’t matter if the engine is warm or cold. This started to happen a few days after the accident. so when this first started happening i thought okay battery cables corroded (remember side post battery here) i noticed this when i was fixing my truck. so i went out one day with a pocket screw driver and scrapped the cables pretty clean. This seemed to fix it but it didn’t lol. So heres my question could the starter have a “Weak Spot” in it? i did buy a Life time limited warranty starter when i replaced the starter in December. Could the battery cables be bad (I Do have a spare set of good cables.) i just wanna know what yall think. (If yall want to see the truck after the accident i can show a few pictures and pictures after i fixed everything)

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      A toyotakarlIts me

Your starter theoretically could have a flat spot, but with it being so new, I doubt it (but you can get bad parts….)

The battery cables could be bad as well…. I would think since your issue started happening after the accident you might have an issue with a body-ground connections… Also check the voltage at the starter when trying to start the vehicle(as well as the solenoid feed wire)

Also….check your ignition switch… It sounds like yours may be having issues….

-Karl

college mancollege man
          BillBill
          Participant

I think I would replace the starter if I was you.

Andy WhiteAndy White
            Participant

The Starter WAS Replaced in December of 2012. Should I replace it again?

BillBill
              Participant

If ALL the connections are clean and tight then the starter is probably the issue. Starters can fail anytime especially with so many off shore parts being used today.

A toyotakarlIts me

Another issue I have seen that has caused this symptom is when the terminals were not clean and tight… I harp on that all the time. Clean and tight, clean and tight….Absolutely no looseness.

-Karl

college mancollege man

check for 12v at the starter with a dvom.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…