Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Steering Issue After Rack Replacement

Steering Issue After Rack Replacement

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Steering Issue After Rack Replacement

• Creator
    Topic
    Paul CPaul C
    Participant

Rack has been showing signs of wearing out on my ‘04 Ram for a while now, so when recently my power steering pump also crapped out I decided to replace both at the same time since I have the time right now. I am sure that I centered the rack before installing it and had the steering wheel straight&secured in that position. When I finished the job and took the truck out for a test drive, I noticed quickly that if i did not hold onto the wheel it would turn about 15* to the left and bring the truck with it. When I pulled back into my driveway and put it in park i noticed that the wheel came to rest at that 15* turn even though the wheels were straight. Weird thing is I can pull the slack out of it and get the wheel straight without much movement at all from the wheels. Did I get a defective reman’d rack or is it possible that I missed a step? Would an alignment just do the trick? Pretty lost so any help is appreciated.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

It is very common for the steering wheel to be off center after a power steering rack replacement. I recommend you get an alignment to correct the issue.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…