Menu

sticking brakes

• Creator
    Topic
    stew81stew81
    Participant

hi , i was having problems with my fromt calipers of my 93 civic sticking. so i replaced my calipers and the left side is still sticking . Its bad enough that my rim and suspention parts are too hot to touch after a short drive . i am thinking its the line but not sure if i should just replace the flex line or the whole main brake line . any sudgestions ?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dreamer2355dreamer2355
      Participant

Do you see a bubble in the brake hose as that could be a sign that it was kinked during previous brake service causing the piston not to retract back.

What about the guide pins? Are they correctly lubed and working as they should?

julianjulian
        Participant

Put on your safety glasses and watch the caliper while someone pumps it several times. Does it move freely? Maybe it’s dirt or grit inside the caliper mounts that cause it to freeze every so often but not every time. Also, which calipers are these? If they’re on the drive wheels, you might be able to jack that end up and see if the calipers are dragging when the jolt of the rotor touching them occurs by blocking the other wheels, putting it up on jack stands, and watching what happens after you gas then brake.

Just some simple tests to try before you go taking stuff apart.

WDHewsonWDHewson
          Participant

Honda brakes are way too fussy regarding drag.

My 1977 Civic Hatchback (yes 1977) would drag its front pads unless everything was diassembled, cleaned and lubed every 6 months. Here we are 34 years later, and they haven’t fixed it. Right now there are three Hondas in my driveway, and only the CR-V doesn’t seem overly fussy about pad drag.

Interestingly, my 3 previous Camrys never had a brake drag problem.

I suppose this is why they say Hondas are engines first and cars second. Honda only makes cars so they can make their first love, that is engines. Sounds overly critical, but interesting to ponder.

stew81stew81
            Participant

@dreamer2355: flex hoses look ok from the outside but are the orginal ones it came new with lol so im guessing thats the problem. thanks for the responce

@julian
              : the only thing not new are the flex hoses going from the hard brake line to the caliper ever

dreamer2355dreamer2355
              Participant

Just out of curiosity, you haven’t replaced the Master Cylinder recently have you?

stew81stew81
                Participant

no the master cylinder apears to be new ish or at least replaced befor i bought the car 3 years ago

newyotanewyota
                  Participant

I had the same problem on a Ford.Put new brakes and caliper on and still had drag on one side.Thought it was the new caliper and then someone mentioned the rubber line coming in to caliper.Turns out that is what it was.A piece can come loose and flap back and forth inside and act like a one way valve and keep the caliper pushed out.Bleeding the brakes should tip you off.I had trouble bleeding my brakes and it did not dawn on me this was a problem since I did get the air out, but had trouble.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                    Keymaster

I would start by removing the caliper from the bracket and checking the slide pins, I often find that the pins on reman calipers are not lubericated correctly or hardly at all, if this is the case then lubricate the slide pins with silicone paste and where the brake pads touch the caliper bracket with anti sieze. If all is good here look to the hose, it’s not often I see a bad Honda brake hose but it does happen from time to time, you can use the ‘pumping’ tecnique that Julian suggested to see if it releases correctly. I would put the master cylinder at the bottom of the list because it’s not normal that only one side of the brake system would hang up if the pushrod length is not set correctly, I usually see all wheels hanging up in a case like that. Come to think of it it could also be a bad reman so don’t rule that out either, if you can push the piston back with the bleeder cracked the caliper is bad. Keep us posted.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…