Menu

Strange oil leak

• Creator
    Topic
    JerryJerry
    Participant

I have a 1993 Chevy S-10 with the 2.8L engine. It only has 72K miles on it. A while back it started leaking oil. At first I thought it was coming from the rear main seal. But I discovered it is coming from the top of the engine and running down. I first thought of the distributor seal, and it might still be that, but here’s what it’s doing. When I start it up cold, it leaks like crazy. A steady drip for several minutes. Leaves a big puddle. But once warmed up, it slows to almost nothing. I can drive it 100 miles without the oil level going down hardly any. When it is first started, the oil pressure gauge goes all the way up. It has done that for 15 years, since I bought the truck. It stays at the top while driving, but once warmed up, it will drop a little bit at idle. It seems to be reading high. Even with the air cleaner removed it is hard to see down in there. I stuffed a rag down by the base of the distributer before a cold start, and it was completely soaked in oil when I pulled it out a few minutes later. But if it is the distributor seal, why does it almost completely stop leaking when the engine warms up? Can anybody think of anything in that area that might do that?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Loading…