Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Strange Random Brake Sound While Cold.

Strange Random Brake Sound While Cold.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Strange Random Brake Sound While Cold.

• Creator
    Topic
    Lex ThompsonLex Thompson
    Participant

1997 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd
      Hello all,
      For the past 2 weeks I’ve been experiencing a thumping sensation from left front. This only happens when the truck has been sitting overnight and in cold temperatures. The thump only occurs when going forward at low speed mainly idle speed. Everytime, the thump occurs halfway through the brake pedal travel. However, after traveling faster the sound disappears for remainder of the drive. It doesn’t pull under braking, nor are the brakes dragging. I replaced both calipers, rotors, bearings, and pads in November 2019. All suspension components were replaced last year. I have lubricated all caliper components and checked any loose items with no change. It sounds like the tap of a hammer. A buddy of mine said to turn the caliper piston 90 degrees and see if that helps. Any ideas are welcome.
      Carquest Caliper #18-4300 & 18-4299
      Akebono ProAct Ceramic Pads #ACT369
      BrakeBest Rotor & Hub #76446RGS
      MasterPro Inner Bearing #A5
      MasterPro Outer Bearing #A3

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Have a look at the dust shield contacting the rotor.
        Might also try lifting the front end spin the tire and have someone apply the brakes and see if you can reproduce the noise and try to pin point its location.

Lex ThompsonLex Thompson
        Participant

Thank you for replying. I jacked up the right front wheel and it turns out the caliper piston was binding. Causing the back pad to shutter against the rotor. Fortunately I was able to do a warranty exchange. Greased everything up, bled the brakes and she’s 100% again!
          It’s rather sad to see parts don’t last as long as they used to. The factory calipers lasted 22 yrs. before they started seizing. This one only lasted 1yr 2mths. Ohh well.

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
          Participant

Don’t feel bad.
            I installed a replacement set of calipers.
            A year later both were locking up during cold weather.
            Turns out the pistons were rusting in their bores.
            Thankfully I kept the originals and ordered a pair of rebuild kits for them.
            Haven’t had an issue since.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…