Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Stuck in park but it also won't recognize it as park

Stuck in park but it also won't recognize it as park

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Stuck in park but it also won't recognize it as park

• Creator
    Topic
    Elinam KamassahElinam Kamassah
    Participant

05/11/2020 5:21 pm
      I have an automatic 2003 Acura el (basically a Honda civic with VTEC) with 193,000 km. I have multiple problems with this car but the most important one is that the car cannot recognize when it is park. I put it in park and it locks itself there, and won’t let me out unless I use the override. So it is most likely in park but it won’t say so on the dash. This is a new problem that I think I caused when I accidentally ran the car momentarily with the parking brake or maybe it’s the off brand transmission fluid? Also, it is important to note that I am fixing this car that has been sitting 4 years prior to my attempt to let it run.

Thanks, Eli

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      David FieldsDavid Fields
      Participant

I had a Similar issue on a Nissan Maxima. symptoms was I couldn’t get it out of park unless I did the override. and it would randomly happen. things to check, Break Light bulbs, shift lock solenoid, and break light switch. in my case it was the Break Light switch, the break lights would randomly not work and thus wouldn’t trigger the shift lock solenoid which let it move out of park. you should be able to hear the click of the solenoid when you push the break down to move it out of park. I ordered a aftermarket break light switch from RockAuto for like $13 and installed it and that solved my problem. again it may not be your problem but some of the same symptons I had.

Elinam KamassahElinam Kamassah
        Participant

The brake lights seem to work fine all the time. Any suggestions to diagnose how the shift lock solenoid wouldn’t work.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…