Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Sudden loud knocking / tapping directly under valve cover… please help

Sudden loud knocking / tapping directly under valve cover… please help

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Sudden loud knocking / tapping directly under valve cover… please help

• Creator
    Topic
    Jon C.Jon C.
    Participant

I have a 2000 Honda Accord V6 3.0 with 250,000 miles. Car has been running great until I got home from work yesterday. When I park the car in the driveway everything was fine. An hour later when I went to start it terrible tapping / knocking on the top of the engine directly under valve cover. If I put my hand on the valve cover over cylinder for it feels like something is making direct contact with the underside.

Drove the car around the block at idle speed or just over. Car seems to be running fine besides the noise. Only drove for a minute or two for obvious reasons. Occasionally the sound will stop but returns immediately.

Am I doomed or is this repairable for reasonable amount of work / price? And is this something I could do myself? I am mechanically inclined

I haven’t pulled the valve cover yet but have asked around on the Internet lol and everyone is telling me it’s either I need a valve adjusted, a a broken rocker arm etc…

I’m a little hard up for cash at the moment and this is my only vehicle. Please let me know your thoughts and next course of action.

Again it feels like something is directly contacting the underside of the valve cover over cylinder 4. When I park the car everything was absolutely normal an hour later this happened upon restarting it and it happened immediately. Soon as the car started it was making this noise

Thx you.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

No matter what the cause..
        You’ll need to remove the valve cover in order to determine the cause.
        Once you see the root cause then come back and do your inquries.

Jon C.Jon C.
        Participant

Yeah that’s what I was guessing needed to happen next. Hopefully ir will be something noticeable that I can see or notice that something is loose…

Does this sound like it could be a timing issue like the timing belt slipped or something of that nature? Just trying to prepare myself for what I might find / what might be wrong

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
          Participant

If it were a timing issue, chances are the engine would be running pretty rough.

Jon C.Jon C.
            Participant
            Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…