Menu

The Basic Parts of an Automatic Transmission

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum The Basic Parts of an Automatic Transmission

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

I’ve been wanting to make this video for some time. I’m glad I finally got the chance to bring it to you. I’ll make future videos based on the questions I get about this series so feel free to ask away.

Viewing 12 replies - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      cbridencbriden
      Participant

I also enjoyed this video. I have not had the courage to dive into a transmission rebuild. Everytime I pull off the pan I am terrified when I see the “brain”. It must take a real pro to rebuild one successfully. I’ll stick with ordering mine from Jasper.

AaronAaron
        Participant

Can’t wait for part 2 🙂

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

I almost forgot to post part 2.

davedave
            Participant

“Automatic Transaxles: Part Deaux”

JamesB1985JamesB1985
              Participant

How bout this one for your Eric….

I have a 1998 Acura CL 3.0 B7ZA automatic transmission that flares on the 1-2 shift when cold and bangs on the 2-1 shift randomly..i.e. – doesn’t have to do with temperature on the 2-1 bang.

What would your best guess be? Internal/mechanical problem? Electronic control problem (solenoid, CPC Valve, clutch pressure switch) ? Or hydraulic/pressure problem…. I guess the internal/hydraulic are kind of the same I guess…

davedave
                Participant

How many miles on your transmission?

If I had to guess, you might need a band adjustment.

JamesB1985JamesB1985
                  Participant

170,000. Honda’s use Non-Planetary transmission’s and do not have ‘Bands’.

dollman0dollman0
                    Participant

Hey Eric: I was wondering if you plan to make an educational video for sale for us techs who don’t understand automatics? Just saw the TC video and it is helpful to see the ‘real deal’ and not just read about it. Thanks for some great info on the AT.

AaronAaron
                      Participant

So much information

JoseJose
                        Participant

Thanks for the video Erick, glad to have you around. I was thinking about some parts that you mention in the video. The flex plate, clutch, and torque converter, Do any of these parts need to be change as an maintenance routine? The reason why I ask is because I notice that every time I am sitting in idle waiting for the light to turn green, I notice a rough idle or some rough shake while is in the Drive gear. Its not that bad but it is noticeable. But if I set the gear to neutral, the rough idle is gone. Any idea what that might be?
                          BTW its a 2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8L

Shane TeagueShane Teague
                          Participant

I really enjoyed these videos. On one hand I appreciate the complexity of an automatic transmission. On the other hand I think these did give me the gist of how they work. I am looking forward to the torque converter video especially how they lock up at the right time.

I like the mention of the differential and the possibility of a video on one at some time. I can appreciate that can be a rich topic too. With that in mind I have hope that a video can be made so the mention of the various locking ones can be mentioned and even cover which ones are good and not so good. I hope to one day have lots of extra change in my pocket and rig up a four wheel drive with some sort of locking diffs in both axles. At this point I still don’t know what kind(s) I would want to have installed.

In summary it looks like there are lots of automobile topics out out there to get to have future videos on.

Shane TeagueShane Teague
                            Participant

PS to my above comment. Could we have a dissection video on a standard transmission too at some time?

Viewing 12 replies - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            Loading…