Menu

They claim it couldn’t be done

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Repair Central-The ‘How To’ Forum They claim it couldn’t be done

• Creator
    Topic
    Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
    Participant

Just for giggles here.
      I own a 2002 Nissan Xterra 4×4.
      Comes with age and load, the rear is hanging a bit low.
      After doing some research I come to find there are limited fixes.
      1- Install a 2 inch leaf shackles set
      2- Replace the factory springs with a heavy duty set.

Went looking at air springs, but no one makes a set to fit my model and year.
      You need to do some cutting and welding in order to get a set to fit correctly.

Then went and researched air shocks, again no one makes a set to fit my application.
      After that I started looking at coil helper shocks.. again same story.
      But then I decided to get the exact specs for my standard rear shocks and start looking to see if there was a set of air shocks that matched up.
      I did find one set that matched up in both collapsed and extended lengths also in travel distance.
      Only issue was that though the upper mount was the correct diameter to fit on to the post, the lower mount was about 1/4 inch smaller with a 5/8 to 1/2 reducing bushing.

I thought, easy enough to just press the bushing out.
      Even with the bushing removed the actual hole in the shock rubber bushing was still smaller that the mounting post.
      Again easy enough to use a little silicone grease and a clamp and it slid right on the post.

But here is why they state they don’t fit.
      When tightening the upper mount the body of the shock comes in contact with the chassis, flexing the upper mount.
      You need something like 3/16″ behind the upper mount to clear the chassis.
      Again, easy fix.. fitted 2 2″ 5/8 washer on the upper mount post, then the shock with the cup washer and nut.
      Used some locktite on the nut (just in case)
      End result:
      Back end is now sitting where it should.
      The shocks were only $75.00 a pair. ( Gabriel p/n 49207 )
      And it’s a lot simpler than some of the other options available.

Now before the grief starts…
      Yes I know that many vehicles the shock mounts are not intended to carry a heavy load.
      I only need to air up to 70 psi, My 4×4 doesn’t do much off roading these days, so I think they should work out just fine.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Loading…