Menu

timing a car with coil packs

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here timing a car with coil packs

• Creator
    Topic
    jcornagliajcornaglia
    Participant

I am putting new head gaskets in a 98 Pontiac montana 3400.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
      Participant

Did you align the timing marks?
        If you did then you should be fine.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
        Participant

We also have a free link to Chilton’s online that may have some repair information that should help with this procedure. Just use the forum search function to find it.

Its a good idea as suggested to set the engine at TDC before pulling the heads using the timing marks.

Here is a video from Richpin where he shows using a technique to find TDC –

http://www.youtube.com/user/richpin06a# … H0gHdnM1cE

MattMatt
          Participant

Pull no. 1 plug, and put yer finger in the hole. Have someone rotate the engine by hand until you feel your finger being pushed out of the hole. Then, insert a long screwdriver or similiar and slowly keep rotating until the screwdriver stops moving up. You should be pretty close. Then you can line up the timing marks.

619DioFan619DioFan
            Participant

Welcome to the forums ! is the engine still together or have you already pulled the heads ? if still together turn the motor over by hand and line the timing marks up on the crank pulley at tdc on the pointer and the cams should have marks that line up once you have this done you are ready to disassemble.

rice400rice400
              Participant

I wasnt aware that the GM 3400 used distributor style ignition system. I was pretty sure it just used 3 coil packs mounted to an ignition module, with timing controlled by a crankshaft position sensor. Perhaps i’m confusing it with the 3800

rice400rice400
                Participant

after reading your post again i misread what you typed. You’re not saying its a distributor style ignition….. gotcha now! My mind isnt fully awake yet

jcornagliajcornaglia
                  Participant

A majority of the engine is still in place – However, I have removed the front side of the engines springs, push rods, rocker arms, keepers etc BUT the cylinder head is still in place. I realized that If I remove this head, I would then also remove the bracket that I need to connect a strap to. This bracket is needed to winch the engine(rotate the engine) forward to get to the rear valve cover, and head etc..

Does that help?

With the heads off, would I still be able to set the timing correctly? I still have them on.

Thanks

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                    Keymaster

I do show how to find the compression stroke in this video.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgrfT0LF … ure=relmfu

However if you had the engine apart you’re going to need to find the mechanical marks for the timing and line those up, perhaps use the chilton link to find that information so that you can put everything back in time the way it’s suppose to be. Be careful about turning the engine over if it’s back in time however as if it’s too far out of time the piston could come into contact with the valves and bend them in some cases so be careful when you turn the engine over (by hand) and if you feel any resistance then stop and move the cam a little till you can continue.

MattMatt
                      Participant

Quoted From EricTheCarGuy:

I do show how to find the compression stroke in this video.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgrfT0LF … ure=relmfu

However if you had the engine apart you’re going to need to find the mechanical marks for the timing and line those up, perhaps use the chilton link to find that information so that you can put everything back in time the way it’s suppose to be. Be careful about turning the engine over if it’s back in time however as if it’s too far out of time the piston could come into contact with the valves and bend them in some cases so be careful when you turn the engine over (by hand) and if you feel any resistance then stop and move the cam a little till you can continue.

I’m finding that I have to re-watch some of your vids because over that last couple years, I’ve forgotten what all you have covered. It’s good times all over again, so I can’t complain.

3SheetsDiesel3SheetsDiesel
                        Participant

The cam timing won’t change unless you do something to the timing chain. Seeing as how it’s an overhead valve engine, and you’re only replacing the head gaskets, there’s no reason to expose the timing components anyway. Pull the intake manifold, pull the valve covers, remove the rocker arms, yank the push rods out, remove the heads, change the lifters if you’re feeling saucy. As long as you keep all the parts in order, everything should be good. Ignition timing isn’t adjustable, so you don’t have to worry about that.

MattMatt
                          Participant

Quoted From 3SheetsDiesel:

The cam timing won’t change unless you do something to the timing chain. Seeing as how it’s an overhead valve engine, and you’re only replacing the head gaskets, there’s no reason to expose the timing components anyway. Pull the intake manifold, pull the valve covers, remove the rocker arms, yank the push rods out, remove the heads, change the lifters if you’re feeling saucy. As long as you keep all the parts in order, everything should be good. Ignition timing isn’t adjustable, so you don’t have to worry about that.

On top of this, I’ve watched a couple vids lately where the cam gears are wired (by the tech) to the chain itself, so even if it was an OHC engine, you wouldn’t have to mess with the timing. Good call 3Sheets.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                            Keymaster

Quoted From Beefy:

On top of this, I’ve watched a couple vids lately where the cam gears are wired (by the tech) to the chain itself, so even if it was an OHC engine, you wouldn’t have to mess with the timing. Good call 3Sheets.

I do this myself at times when removing a cylinder head or something like that, makes reassembly a LOT easier. Also it doesn’t hurt to make your own marks from time to time just make sure they are accurate, wide paint marks don’t help much.

How do I set the electronic timing on a Hyundai Elantra GLS 2003 2.0l

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            Loading…