Menu

Transmission Fluid 2002 Sienna

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Transmission Fluid 2002 Sienna

• Creator
    Topic
    Slick OneBrandon Towne
    Participant

I have a 2002 Toyota sienna with 115,000 miles on it, this van was well maintained it has every maintenance record from the previous owner.

Toyota dealership did a transmission service in it multiple years ago and they put Toyota T-IV in it according to the maintenance record. Anyways I just noticed this situation now. The transmission however shifts perfectly fine no issues.

The owners manual and the dipstick both say Dexron III.

The transmission fluid in it is getting dark and I am wanting to service it myself so I purchased Valvoline Dex/Merc which says “Recommended for vehicles requiring Dexron III, Mercon and many other applications”

I was going to pull the transmission cooler return line and start up the van and continue adding new fluid until the fluid comes out clean from the cooler line.

However I was also thinking on just pulling the drain plug filling it up, drive it, repeat a few times to get the majority of the fluid replenished.

My issue though is because Toyota put Toyota T-IV there, is it safe to do drain/fill method with Valvoline Dex/Merc, can these 2 fluids be mixed because obviously the drain/fill method is not going to get all of the T-IV out but a majority of it will be diluted with fresh Dex/Merc I just don’t want some bad reaction between the 2 fluids to happen.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Here are several automatic transmission fluids that are listed as suitable for T-IV applications: Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF, Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, Castrol Trans-Max Synthetic ATF, Quaker State Ultimate Synthetic Multi-vehicle ATF, Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid

Slick OneBrandon Towne
        Participant

My issue is the transmission calls for Dexron III in the owners manual and on the dipstick. This transmission was serviced at one point in its life by a Toyota dealership and they put in Toyota T-IV according to a service record.

I need to know if it is safe to do a drain/fill with the proper fluid Valvoline Dex/Merc even though the transmission as the incorrect fluid in it right now.

So is drain/fill fine because obviously during a drain/fill it is not getting out all of the old incorrect fluid that the dealership put in it during a service years ago but it will be diluted with fresh correct fluid.

Basically will Dexron III (Valvoline Dex/Merc) and the incorrect fluid Toyota put in it years ago Type-IV have bad interactions with each other or should I just pull the transmission cooler return line and do a complete flush?.

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
          Participant

The listed fluids above are suitable for T-IV applications, meaning they are compatible.
            If your changing the filter and flushing the system, there should be no issue.
            If you plan on doing a spill and fill, depending on the system capacity, and how much fluid can be removed via the drain plug.
            It may take 3 – 5 drain a fills.
            My choice would be the complete flush. Less labor and faster.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…