Menu

transmission fluid change question

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here transmission fluid change question

• Creator
    Topic
    jr rovjr rov
    Participant

I just purchased a 2006 Toyota Camry XLE automatic with 167,000 miles on it. I don’t know if the previous owner changed the transmission fluid regularly, and I wanted to know if I should change it or leave it be for the rest of its life. I read in some places that changing the transmission fluid in an older car could cause transmission problems. The car currently has no signs of transmission problems, and I want the car to last as long as possible. I checked the transmission fluid by wiping the transmission dipstick on a white paper towel. The fluid looked like a translucent grayish brown with a pink tint to it. Should I change the transmission fluid or leave it be?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Tough call to make ….
        Judging from your description of the tranny fluid, it’s even money that the fluid hasn’t been changed in a while (if at all).
        The risk is there that changing the fluid after that many miles could possibly cause issue.
        You could try changing it slowly, one quart intervals over a period of time and see how the transmission operates after each quart change.

PhilPhil
        Participant

Richard, what issues might a full three quart trans fluid change cause? Thanks.

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
          Participant

One thing to take note when dealing with old transmission fluid is that it contains a amount of clutch material suspended in it.
            Which can help worn parts within the transmission to operate.
            The major trouble happens in many cases that when you dump and replace a large amount of fluid those worn parts do not function as they once did.
            Which in a lot of cases cause shifting issues.
            That is why I said if your going to attempt a fluid change, do it slowly over the course of time one quart at a time.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…