Menu

Transmission fluid is milky

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Transmission fluid is milky

• Creator
    Topic
    normanorma
    Participant

Why is my transmission fluid milky and

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MattMatt
      Participant

Quoted From 3SheetsDiesel:

I’m going to make some presumptions here, hopefully I’m not too far off the mark. First off, I’m going to presume that you’ve got an automatic transmission. Further, I’m going to presume that it’s cooler is inside of the radiator rather than being a stand-alone unit. When you say milky, I’m going to presume that the transmission fluid looks like Pepto-Bismol. What has happened is that the transmission cooler inside the radiator has gone bad and allowed coolant to leak into the transmission. This will also allow ATF to get into the cooling system.

If that’s the case, you’re going to need a radiator, a transmission filter, transmission pan gasket, coolant and transmission fluid. Replace the radiator, get all the contaminated fluid out of the transmission, replace the transmission filter and pan gasket (unless of course you’ve got an external transmission filter), refill all affected fluids and hope for the best.

I normally hate presumptions, but dag, I think you nailed this one. Awesome post.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
        Participant

Welcome to the forums!

What vehicle are you working on and how many miles?

Are you experiencing any drivability issues?

3SheetsDiesel3SheetsDiesel
          Participant

I’m going to make some presumptions here, hopefully I’m not too far off the mark. First off, I’m going to presume that you’ve got an automatic transmission. Further, I’m going to presume that it’s cooler is inside of the radiator rather than being a stand-alone unit. When you say milky, I’m going to presume that the transmission fluid looks like Pepto-Bismol. What has happened is that the transmission cooler inside the radiator has gone bad and allowed coolant to leak into the transmission. This will also allow ATF to get into the cooling system.

If that’s the case, you’re going to need a radiator, a transmission filter, transmission pan gasket, coolant and transmission fluid. Replace the radiator, get all the contaminated fluid out of the transmission, replace the transmission filter and pan gasket (unless of course you’ve got an external transmission filter), refill all affected fluids and hope for the best.

Elessar65Elessar65
            Participant

Quoted From 3SheetsDiesel:

X2

normanorma
              Participant

It’s a 2000 Ford Windstar, 3.8. Taking off from a complete stop I have to give it alot of gas to get the car to move. Once it gets going it shifts into the next gear just fine. So I got home and checked the transmission fluid level, It was fine but I noticed the fluid was a milky pinkish color. I was wondering maybe I should drain the transmission and maybe flush it, then refill it. I don’t know if that’s something I can do myself. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
                Norma

spelunkerdspelunkerd
                Participant

I also agree with the above advice. If you’re not familiar with flushing a transmission and changing a rad, then the above work will require professional advice anyway. So, I would take it in rather than wasting money on a DIY trans flush. Thee is a lot of fluid to replace to do a full trans flush, and if you haven’t fixed the problem you’re just throwing that cash away. The new fluid will just be contaminated again.

There are only a couple of ways that trans fluid becomes milky and it always comes from water getting into the trans fluid, ie disruption of the barrier between the cooling system and the trans lubricant. What does the fluid in your radiator and your oil pan look like?

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                  Participant

Quoted From spelunkerd:

I also agree with the above advice. If you’re not familiar with flushing a transmission and changing a rad, then the above work will require professional advice anyway. So, I would take it in rather than wasting money on a DIY trans flush. Thee is a lot of fluid to replace to do a full trans flush, and if you haven’t fixed the problem you’re just throwing that cash away. The new fluid will just be contaminated again.

There are only a couple of ways that trans fluid becomes milky and it always comes from water getting into the trans fluid, ie disruption of the barrier between the cooling system and the trans lubricant. What does the fluid in your radiator and your oil pan look like?

+1

Keep us updated.

wafrederickwafrederick
                    Participant

Don’t need a pan gasket on this one,has a reusable pan gasket.Don’t ever get the transmission flushed,huge waste of money and the repair is more than the flush itself.I know a transmission shop that makes money off of repairs because of flushes with the machine.Lines are above the valve body and filter full of dirt and crud.That dirt and crud ends up in the valve body

Sang Kimskim3544
                      Participant

I am not a big fan of transmission flush, but if transmission oil is mixed is coolant, I think flush is required – in other words, draining the pan only isn’t going to fix this.

HARLEYHARLEY
                        Participant

HI I’M THE NEW GUY HERE.
                          I GOT A GOOD GOO PROBLEM THAT NEEDS SOME ANSWERS????? 🙁

Attachments:
                          HARLEYHARLEY
                          Participant

SORRY HERE IS THE INFORMATION.IT’S A 1951 CHEVY 6 CYL WITH 2 SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. WE WERE GETTING FOR BULLETPROOF . WE GOT IT RUNNING WERE PUTTING ON CHROME AND LIGHTS AND STUFF. I WENT HOME FOR THE DAY AND MY FRIEND THE OWNER SENT ME THIS PICTURE . THE WHITE GOO :woohoo: HE SAID IT’S THICK LIKE LAVA HA HA CAR HASN’T RUN FOR THE LAST 20 TEARS . NEED A LITTLE HELP :unsure:

SORRY FOR ALL CAPS I’M NOT YELLING IT’S JUST I’M ITALIAN :silly:

MikeMike
                            Participant

Did you drain and refill the transmission and the torque converter before you got the engine running? If you drained and refilled the transmission, but not the torque converter, and then added the complete fluid capacity of the transmission, you would have an over-filled transmission. The old fluid trapped in the converter would add to the total.

After sitting for 20 years, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a lot of water condensation in the transmission. If you haven’t drained the old fluid, it could also be a case of someone, a long time ago, over-filling the transmission to exclude air and prevent corrosion when the car was put into storage. I believe the Powerglide transmission of this vintage used an iron case, so preventing corrosion might have been an issue on these old slush boxes.

HARLEYHARLEY
                              Participant

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE I’LL CHECK THAT OUT!!!

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              Loading…