Menu

Transmission fluid question

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Transmission fluid question

• Creator
    Topic
    I II I
    Participant

How do I know if it’s safe to change my transmission fluid? I have a 2010 Honda Civic with an unknown vehicle maintenance history—though the CarFax says trans fluid was changed about 5 years ago. It’s got about 150k miles on it. How do I know if it’s safe to change my fluid? I don’t want to change it and then have my transmission slip. I do have a dipstick, but I’m unsure what else to look for aside from color.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Jeffrey VoightJeffrey Voight
      Participant

It’s a bad thing to heed to the rumor to not service your tranny if it’s been too long. They should always be changed per schedule. This can be found in your owners manual. I believe Honda in that year is either every 30,000 miles or 60,000 miles if it’s overdue it needs changed. Some Honda’s specifically state in the manual to never flush the tranny. It could harm the tranny. If there is no transmission screen or filter accessible when dropping the pan you have the kind that shouldn’t be flushed. In this case a drain and fill is recommended. Many people will drain and fill, then after 50 miles repeat the drain and fill up to 2 more times. On all Honda’s it is very important to use only Honda transmission fluid. Be sure to use the proper Honda fluid. The dealership I get mine from is no more expensive than other fluids.

I II I
        Participant

Thanks for the reply. I should mention that I bought this car used. I know that if the transmission is worn too much and the fluid is changed, it’ll start slipping…I obviously don’t want to ruin my tranny. Should I keep the fluid I drain just in case? I suppose that there isn’t a way to check the “health” of the fluid via dipstick like the oil :/

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by I II I.
          Jeffrey VoightJeffrey Voight
          Participant

If you change the fluid and it starts slipping, putting the old fluid back in will not do any good. If the transmission is not slipping, do a service change. It will be a good thing. If by some strange anomaly it does start slipping, it isn’t because you changed the fluid, it’s because the tranny was already damaged. If you don’t have your tranny serviced it will fail sooner. If the tranny is slipping before you change fluid, changing it may help but not likely. The best recommendation I can give you is to properly service this transmission, and never reinstall old fluid. Or better yet have a professional that is familiar with the Honda protocol do it.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…