Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Trouble engaging into gear unless I remove a lot of pedal free play

Trouble engaging into gear unless I remove a lot of pedal free play

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Trouble engaging into gear unless I remove a lot of pedal free play

• Creator
    Topic
    H AH A
    Participant

When I first got my 98 civic at 90k the clutch pedal had a good 1/2-1” of free play and no problem engaging gears.

Recently at 195k with original clutch I started having issues engaging gears. I noticed the clutch fluid was black and thick. Flush didn’t help so I decided to change the slave and master cylinders.

After adjusting the pedal play to how it was (1/2-1”) I had same issues engaging gears.

I realized the only way to get proper engagement was to reduce the play to the minimum about 1mm, barely noticeable at my foot.

Driving around till it’s fully warmed up and it doesn’t slip (previously had it too tight and it would slip once warm)

My question:
      If my clutch was really worn down, would it explain why I need to eliminate a lot of pedal play for proper engagement? Less disc material meaning more travel of the clutch fork to get it disengaged fully?

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Dave TidmanDave Tidman
      Participant

It could be a number of things that are wrong, but with something like this probably the only solution is to take it apart and see what is wrong. If you have had the car for 100K and not changed the clutch, it’s probably time for a good look at it, especially if you don’t know if the clutch was done before you got the car.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…