I am doing the head gasket repair on a 1988 Pontiac Fiero, yes, A FIERO.. My thing is that the Haynes repair manual indicates that the torque specs for the head bolts should be:
1. Tighten all bolts gradually to 18 ft lbs in sequence
2. Torque bolts 1-8 and 10 to 22 ft lbs except bolt 9
3. Torque bolt 9 to 29 ft lbs
4. Turn all bolts 1-8 and 10, 120 degrees
5. Turn bolt 9, 90 degrees
The Mahle bolts torquing sheet that came with the Mahle bolt set says something completely different:
1. Torque all bolts to 18 ft lbs
2. Torque bolts 1-8 and 10 to 25 ft lbs
3. Torque bolt 9 to 18 ft lbs
4. Turn all bolts 1-10 90 degrees
Which specs should I use?
The Haynes manual torque specs or Mahle’s head bolt set torque specs?
Do each of the head bolt manufacturer have their own specs regardless of the repair manual that shows vehicle manufacturer’s specs?
Thank you in advance
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.