Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Tuneup for 2004 Nissan Quest explorer will run for 10 sec only help

Tuneup for 2004 Nissan Quest explorer will run for 10 sec only help

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Maintenance Forums Tuneup for 2004 Nissan Quest explorer will run for 10 sec only help

• Creator
    Topic
    RichRich
    Participant

Can you pull any codes, that would be a big help to determine what it is? Also check if the alarm has a fuse, pull it and start the car. Could be a vacuum leak or a bad fuel pressure regulator.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Tri9SSTri9SS
      Participant

test having problems sending reply if it goes through do not reply just a test to see if I can send reply.

redfuryredfury
        Participant

If it starts and runs for 10 seconds, it’s likely not the fuel pump, it’s likely something shutting OFF the fuel pump, or the ignition. Like Eric said, the alarm system comment throws up a flag, you’ll wan to make sure it’s disabled, especially if it’s an aftermarket unit to make sure it isn’t interfering with the engine management system.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

As soon as you said alarm system a flag went up. Is there any way you can disconnect it and see if it still does the same thing?

MattMatt
            Participant

I’m curious how the connector came loose at the fuel pump assembly. Was there obvious heat damage, such as swelled plastic or alot of corrosion in the connector itself? These could cause excessive resistance and kill the fuel pump. Just something else to look at besides the alarm system.

raceking1324raceking1324
              Participant

well the first thing is my battery positive touched metal to metal and the connector melted off and i replaced the wires and then tried to start it but the fuel pump did not turn on so me and a friend pulled the tank and the connector just dropped so we plugged it back and tired the key and it worked and then we put it all back and tried to start it and then it would run and die out i thought it could be the gas so i put 5 gl in and tried it anion and still the same so i ran out of stuff to do but now i need to charge the battery and then I’m going to try the alarm not in less anyone has anything else it could be?? and i just can disconnect the alarm at the battery right i don’t know help????? and i live in AZ

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                Keymaster

If you have shorted the computer it’s anybodies guess what kind of trouble that could cause, you may have to start by replacing it and seeing what you have. It might be time to enlist a professional to perform some electrical diagnositcs, sometimes that’s better than beating your head against the wall for days.

bravo187bravo187
                  Participant

do you run your car around 1/4 of a tank most of the time? how long ago did u change your fuel filter? have you checked your fuel pressure?
                    looks like you got a fuel problem because u said your car turned on for about 10 seconds so that means you ignition system is good look for simple stuff first

raceking1324raceking1324
                    Participant

i never changed the fuel pump or filter i tryed to but the lines would not come off and i run 1/2 to full tank all the time

twiggytwiggy
                      Participant

If the connectors at the fuel pump were loose maybe they loosened due to vibration and that the pump on it’s way out? It could be that it runs only a short time and then seizes up.

Also your battery could have been damaged and maybe is loading down the alternator, you should check the voltage on that battery, ETCG has an excellent video on how to do that.

But I’m curious on what wire you said was melted when you said you grounded the positive battery terminal. Is there any chance you subjected your vehicle to reverse polarity ?

Anyways, another thing to do is just start checking fuses..

redfuryredfury
                        Participant

Let’s see if we an get some more information on this problem…specifically this. You say the vehicle starts and runs for 10 seconds and then dies. Will it always start for 10 seconds and then die, or did it start for 10 seconds, die and now won’t restart? That is going to help steer any online diagnosis tremendously. If it’s a replicable problem everytime you start the ( attempt to ) vehicle, it changes where we want to start looking in regards to the component(s) that control the fuel delivery.

Have you checked to make sure that you haven’t kinked any of the fuel lines by accident? It may run for 10 seconds and then starve itself for fuel afterwards if the line had been kinked and is now restricting fuel flow.

raceking1324raceking1324
                          Participant

ok now it will start all the time i have no problem with that and i have charged the battry to full and i looked for how to turn off the alarm and i cant trurn it off at the battry but i do see fues under the dash there are 2 10 amp fues if i pull them does anyone think it will turn it off ?? ok and after i try to start i pulled off the air boox and smock poted out i dont know if that would help or not and if anyone needs to see what im doing let me know and ill but a viedo up on youtrub for u all but i need to know ok and thanks for all the help

brakebrake
                            Participant

Will it start if you jump it off of the solenoid?

raceking1324raceking1324
                              Participant

what should be the psi of the fuel at the rail ???

raceking1324raceking1324
                                Participant

ok but what should be the psi i have a gauge now ???

BigCBigC
                                  Participant

Typical fuel systems are between 35 – 45 psi. Disengage the fuel pump (pull the fuse), and reliever fuel pressure by cranking the engine over. If the vehicle starts, it should stall almost immediately. Turn the key to the “off” position. Re-install the fuel pump fuse. Hook the fuel gauge up, turn the key to the “on” position, and monitor the pressure in the system. Afterwards, start the vehicle and monitor the fuel pressure readings while running (and when the vehicle stalls). Keep us posted on what you find.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…