Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Valve clearance and timing cover re-seal

Valve clearance and timing cover re-seal

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Valve clearance and timing cover re-seal

• Creator
    Topic
    Sherab PuntsokSherab Puntsok
    Participant

Hi members, I’m new in this forum.
      My 2003 Toyota Echo/Vitz with 1SZFE 1.0 litre engine was leaking oil from the timing cover gasket near the water pump area.

Before I remove the valve cover, oil pane, and timing cover I forgot to turn the pistons to DTC. With all these covers removed, can I still rotate the engine clockwise to DTC for checking each valve clearance at this instance? The chain tensioner and chain guides are still un-touched, just the cover removed.

The other question is how do I prepare the timing cover for RTV re-seal? What solvent should I use to clean the surfaces?

Your responses are much appreciated.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

With all these covers removed, can I still rotate the engine clockwise to DTC for checking each valve clearance at this instance? The chain tensioner and chain guides are still un-touched, just the cover removed.
        Yes, you should have no issues barring the engine over to TDC.

[color=blue]The other question is how do I prepare the timing cover for RTV re-seal? What solvent should I use to clean the surfaces?
        [/color]
        Both the timing cover and mating engine block surfaces will need to be cleaned off of all RTV by using a scrapper, soft wire wheel or soft wire brush.
        Acetone or brake part cleaner can be used to wipe the areas clean.

Sherab PuntsokSherab Puntsok
        Participant

Thank you, nightflyr.

Now I have confidence to proceed.

Your answer is much appreciated.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…