Menu

Vibration When Turning Right

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Vibration When Turning Right

• Creator
    Topic
    RyanRyan
    Participant

Hey everybody, I have a 2012 Ford Fiesta, 5-speed manual, and have had this issue for as long as I can remember with the car. When turning right and accelerating, I get a vibration throughout the whole car. I can’t make it happen every time but it does occur very frequently. My guess is possibly a CV axle. I had the left front wheel bearing replaced under warranty, but that did not change the vibration issue (bearing was making noise). Any suggestions? The car is under warranty but I wanted to be armed with information before I ask the dealer to look at it. I get a lot of vibrations while driving this car so I’m hoping I can find the source. Thanks for the help!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Coty MillerCoty Miller
      Participant

Wow that’s pretty young for these problems, I’ve been considering actually buying a new 5 speed fiesta hatch…

I have two questions for you:

1) If you rev the engine does the engine roll or rock any? This would tell me a bad motor mount…
        2) Does your brake groan when you ride it at low speeds? (you may have to have someone stand out side of the car and listen for this one)

I believe the fiesta is equipped with steering assist like the focus, which uses the brake to help steer when you go around a turn by dragging the inside caliper… A bad or warped rotor could cause some shaking in the car…

EDIT: When I say “rev the engine” I don’t meen a little, plant the throttle to the floor and run it up to about 5k, having a 6.5k redline with no load you won’t be doing any damage so long as the engine is warm.

RyanRyan
        Participant

I do not know for sure if the Fiesta has a system like that but I do have vibration when braking that I believe is due to warped rotors. If that is the case that makes a lot of sense. The brakes make all kinds of random noises too. I might have to mic the rotor and see if they are warped because that will at least solve my braking vibration. I do not believe I have any engine mount issues.

Coty MillerCoty Miller
          Participant

Yeah, I don’t know if the fiesta has it either, but I’m pretty sure it’s standard on the focus… and the fiesta is almost a focus, just a little smaller, same transmission and engine (a little smaller, 1.6 instead of 2.0, but still the same engine)… Ford is really pushing allot of new features right now trying to be the very best. But it’s causing a few problems because they forget about the necessities… Like good factory brakes…

RyanRyan
            Participant

I know the Fiesta does have the drift-pull compensation stuff and it obviously has traction/stability control. The brakes stop the car great but I get vibrations pretty bad at higher speeds. I think I’m going to get the rotors replaced at the very least. I wanted to say this is a CV axle type issue but I don’t know how to check.

This is a fun car and a lot of value for the money, and I was very happy to buy an American car, but the quality is just not there yet.

Coty MillerCoty Miller
              Participant

I don’t think it’s a CV joint, they make a lot of clicking when they are bad, Not so much vibration as noise… Like CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK like giant metal man is poping his fingers or something, lol

Here is a video…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHPvy5q3Ew4

Vibration that is not caused when braking is more likely the tires, I’d have them checked and balanced, a wheel weight could have fallen off and started vibration, heck even putting slime or fix a flat in a tire will cause terrible vibration.

RyanRyan
                Participant

I do not hear a clicking, but basically I was thinking if it was loose or whatever it might cause that problem. I did think of tire issues, but it was the same with my stock tires on alloys and my snow tires on steelies so that rules out the tires. I think it may be either driveline or brake related.

BTW love Brian’s videos, he’s the man!

college mancollege man

Is the vibration there when going straight?
                    Does the steering wheel shake with no brakes applied?
                    see if this procedure helps isolate the issue.I know its
                    for wheel bearing but may help isolate the vibration.

RyanRyan
                    Participant

No vibration when going straight down the road, only if the road is rough. No vibration when turning left either. But yes vibration when braking at higher speeds and yes vibration when turning right and accelerating. For a right turn, I would think the left bearing is under load but I have had that replaced. Could it be the right bearing? The best way to explain the vibration is almost like axle hop.

Coty MillerCoty Miller
                      Participant

You’d get allot better support on another forum tbh… Try a fiesta enthusiast group…

http://www.fiestafaction.com/forums/forum.php

They more than likely know more about your car then anyone else here.

Infact I dug this topic up:

http://www.fiestafaction.com/forums/fiesta-service-bay/40252-vibration-while-accelerating-turning-right.html

They talk about the very same thing you are describing, at first they talk about the CV joint, but like I said I really don’t think that is the problem, it seems to be a malfunction that is only on the manual trans… I almost wonder if it is differential related…

RyanRyan
                        Participant

I am in fact a member of Fiesta Faction and posted in that thread. However, I was looking to get some other perspectives from the folks here. There didn’t seem to be a conclusion there so I am trying to see what other info I can glean. Thanks!

RyanRyan
                          Participant

Reviving this thread from the archive, to post the solution, in case it helps somebody.

Ended up taking my car to a different dealer who confirmed the vibration when turning. They replaced the right CV axle shaft and the vibration is gone. Was replaced under warranty, no fuss.

Hope this helps someone!

college mancollege man

Glad you got the issue resolved. Thanks for the update and the fix. 🙂

george gonzalezgeorge gonzalez
                              Participant

A bad wheel bearing is unlikely to act anything like “axle hop”. Most likely is a CV joint that is binding up. They’re built to very tight tolerances and all it takes is a very few thousandths of an inch too tight and they will bind up and give you noise and vibration and axle-hop-like symptoms at certain angles.

It could also be a differential spider gear that is binding up but this is somewhat rare.

It’s very unlikely to be a rotor issue unless the problem shows up while turning AND braking.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                                Keymaster

I’m very glad to hear that you were able to get that solved. For a while there I was starting to buy into the ABS theory. Even better that it was covered under warranty.

Thanks for keeping us up to date, and for using the ETCG forum.

Delwyn ChingDelwyn Ching
                                  Participant

I’m having this issue when turning right and accelerating on a slow speed, e.g. about 10-25 mph on our 2005 Toyota Avalon XL. I checked both CV axles and the passenger’s side was loose (slop). I replaced that but while pulling out the old (stock OEM), the shafted pulled at the cv joint grease was liquid and poured out. Replaced with an Autozone Duralast CV axle and everything went back smoothly. It still vibrates on right turns. Checked engine mounts with the gas, transmission in D and holding the breaks but it doesn’t move. while under there to repalce the CV shaft, checked ball joints and all were good (no broken grease seals, no slop). Checked wheel bearings on both sides and no noise, no play at 6-12 o’clock, 3-9 o’clock or any direction. Any I missed or tips? Thanks very much.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Delwyn ChingDelwyn Ching. Reason: added verbage
                                  Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…