Menu

Volvo oil pan with hole

• Creator
    Topic
    LeighLeigh
    Participant

Hello, we recently bought a c70 2008 (small hard top sedan). One of my teens drove over a man hole in a new development ( road is lower and round plate of man hole sticks up about 3-4 inches) . Appears that oil leaked out heavily immediately.
      I am planning on lifting it today to examine the damage but trying to figure out if a patch or replacement is what I should do?
      Thanks

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Billy AndrewsBilly
      Participant

The pan must be replaced. Hopefully he stopped driving it immediately.

LeighLeigh
        Participant

He was 1 min away. Yes came home immediately
          There are a few videos on sealing holes with a product that dries like silicone, but is described similar to bondo.
          I’m not comfortable with sealing and am not sure how difficult changing the whole oil pan is. Do you have any insight…. the part looks to be $145-300

Considering trying to pull one off from junk yard… there have been mentions of difficulties in replacing—- don’t want to bite off more than I can chew. At this point will have to tow if repaired elsewhere

Billy AndrewsBilly
          Participant

Oil pans are pretty easy, except for AWD BMWs. Saving a few bucks on this is nowhere near worth the price of failure.

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
            Participant

Another possible option, provided the oil pan is not distorted.
              You may be able to have the hole welded closed or if it is large, have a patch welded over it.

Billy AndrewsBilly
              Participant

Oh – while you’re in there, be sure to carefully inspect the oil pickup and its tube.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…