Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Walmart Super-Tech oil filters – Any good?

Walmart Super-Tech oil filters – Any good?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Walmart Super-Tech oil filters – Any good?

• Creator
    Topic
    My NameisMy Nameis
    Participant

Noticed my local Walmart has a new oil filter “Supertech” used to seeing their champion lines.

It’s pretty cheap ~$3 after taxes and I was wondering if anyone has used these and/or has experience with them.

I’ve read they’re made by Wix so that got me curious on quality.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Andrew HarrisAndrew Harris
      Participant

your oil filter is not the place to get cheap. I highly recommend installing a factory oil filter. I have fords so I use a motocraft filter on mine and my wifes truck. it will cost you more but its worth it.

JohnJohn
        Participant

Here ya go:

Supertech filter starts about 5:30 into the video

Nicholas ClarkNicholas Clark
          Participant

I mean, I wouldn’t use it. Supertech Motor Oil — Especially the Synthetic, is fine stuff. But I wouldn’t trust driving on a $3 oil filter as far as I could throw it — no matter what the brand. Get a NAPA Gold or Wix filter. They are the best. If you have a Ford/Merc/Lincoln, they love genuine Motorcraft parts.

My NameisMy Nameis
            Participant

[quote=”Hockeyclark” post=173380]I mean, I wouldn’t use it. Supertech Motor Oil — Especially the Synthetic, is fine stuff. But I wouldn’t trust driving on a $3 oil filter as far as I could throw it — no matter what the brand. Get a NAPA Gold or Wix filter. They are the best. If you have a Ford/Merc/Lincoln, they love genuine Motorcraft parts.[/quote]

Who sells wix filters? I don’t have a NAPA store around me just advanced and autozone.

JoshJosh
              Participant

RockAuto.com sells Wix oil filters.

jasonjason
                Participant

O’Reily auto parts carries wix.

At walmart i like the bosch distance plus filters. Some cars are very particular about their filters though. Kia/Hyundai come to mind where OEM is probably your only option if you want your engine to not implode. Motorcraft is great and cheap for Ford/Lincoln/Mercury.

bobistheoilguy.com is a great resource for oil and filters if you are into that sort of thing.

My NameisMy Nameis
                  Participant

[quote=”spriteun” post=173549]O’Reily auto parts carries wix.

At walmart i like the bosch distance plus filters. Some cars are very particular about their filters though. Kia/Hyundai come to mind where OEM is probably your only option if you want your engine to not implode. Motorcraft is great and cheap for Ford/Lincoln/Mercury.

bobistheoilguy.com is a great resource for oil and filters if you are into that sort of thing.[/quote]

It’s a 98 Honda Civic. Ended up finding oem filters online in bulk for $6 a filter. Cheaper than the basic Frams at Walmart

BluesnutBluesnut
                    Participant

I’ve used Super Tech filters on multiple cars for cumulatively millions of miles over the past 20 or so years. There has never been one issue with them.
                      My current ride is at going on 270k miles on mostly nothing but ST filters and oil and no oil consumption at all between changes.

The only reason I don’t use ST filters anymore is because for some odd reason the local Wal Mart quit carrying them so I default to Frams.

Jason WhiteJason White
                      Participant

9 times out of 10 the manufacturers filter is the best filter you can put on your vehicle. Bang for the buck, they win hands down. I’ve been using AC Delco on my Chevy truck since I have bought it when it was close to new. Especially if you have adjustable valve timing and such it can be critical. I have seen the wrong filter cause problems with cam timing just like oil weight.

Don’t cheap out on a filter. A bad filter can be worse than no filter at all. A filter’s job is to catch dirt, we know that. Now imagine you have a filter that has collected a lot of dirt, and it’s a cheap filter and when the oil pressure goes high, such as when you are wide open, that filter’s cheap structure breaks and suddenly a chunk of that dirt is suddenly released. Who knows where it will go. It’s kind of like a blood clot in your legs releasing. Even worse if part of that filter goes along with it.

I have seen a Fram’s case get a dent and it caused a little leak and destroyed a Cummins 5.9. Who knows how many engines die from filter failure. Usually when an engine has a failure like that we just figure something broke, or can’t tell what actually went wrong. I’ve seen lifters fail as well as oil galleys suddenly get clogged due to dirt. How did they go from functioning to suddenly clogged?

The idea that a filter is a filter and oil is oil is like going to the bar and saying a woman is a woman and picking up the easiest one you can find. Might not even be a woman but you don’t find out until it’s too late and what’s done is done. Same with oil and filters.

Jake FJake F
                        Participant

Funny you bring this up because every Walmart around me stopped selling Purolator oil filters many months ago. I wonder if Walmart contracted with Purolator to re-brand to their Super-Tech label. I’ve never seen a ST oil filter but will look next time *curious*. As far as oil filters go, there’s no reason to buy $8-$15 filters for a daily driver even if you’re running synthetic. Air quality isn’t THAT terrible on Earth.

My NameisMy Nameis
                          Participant

[quote=”creativepotato” post=174507]Funny you bring this up because every Walmart around me stopped selling Purolator oil filters many months ago. I wonder if Walmart contracted with Purolator to re-brand to their Super-Tech label. I’ve never seen a ST oil filter but will look next time *curious*. As far as oil filters go, there’s no reason to buy $8-$15 filters for a daily driver even if you’re running synthetic. Air quality isn’t THAT terrible on Earth.[/quote]

I read that Wix makes the ST oil filters that’s what made me curious but I ended up picking up 3 Honda oil filters for $6 each online

Jeremy GordonJeremy Gordon
                            Participant

Yeah chief don’t go cheap with the filter. If you have to go cheap on anything go cheap on the oil (as long as you routinely change your oil).

The reason for going cheap on the oil is because even the cheap oils have strict requirements and standards that don’t exist in the oil filters. The cheapest oil filter I have ever gotten was a Motorcraft, but I have heard FRAM is ok. I myself like to use K&N oil filters but I understand being on a budget.

Bottom line: buy cheap oil, not a cheap oil filter if you are pinching at pennies.

jasonjason
                              Participant

Honda OEM should be safe, however I believe some of their filters are made by Fram and have a different components compareed to ones made by other OEM suppliers. The A01 (FIltech) appears is the one to shoot for when you can get them. The A02 is made by Fram.

RobRob
                                Participant

he does some indeth about some of the pro filters on his channel if you want to check it out

jasonjason
                                  Participant

interesting, a lot is subject to change though as companies merge, get bought out and change contracts. I actually have a tear down of some filters for my civic with an m1 and filtech.
                                    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPXwGLWVEkS8kbDbb3S8p2sE-7aNVbYww1Oj7sqqtxkPgbpTLxyV0gC4zDodeKBiw?key=d01fQXh0aWxSQmxMd2xIVVFseFAyU1UydEN5c2l3

I have a Bosch d+ I need to disect but I really need one of those oil filter openers as a Dremel and chisel weren’t ideal.

also here’s a comparison from honda for their filters

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…