Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • weird intermittent steering issue 2001 Honda Accord

weird intermittent steering issue 2001 Honda Accord

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here weird intermittent steering issue 2001 Honda Accord

• Creator
    Topic
    thepopethepope
    Participant

So this is on my moms car a 2001 Honda accord 4 cylinder manual trans with 225,000 miles. She was driving it yesterday and the steering all of a sudden started to feel “weird” so weird that she was scared to drive it and had it towed home. It got home and I drove it around the block and it was completely normal. Than this morning my mom got about a mile down the road than all of a sudden it did it again. Drove it back and I felt it. Basically it felt like there was lots of play in the steering and it turned way easier than normal. (clearly did not feel right)

I checked for play by picking up left and right front wheel and feeling for play there was nothing in any direction.

power steering fluid is full but is dark.

I know my truck has a valve that regulates pressure to the gear box at certain speeds. Does this honda have something like that?

So to recap
      it happens all of a sudden and is intermittent
      It feels like there is lots of play and the steering is way to easy to turn and has no feel.

Shes owned it since 80k and nothing has ever been replaced in the front end. in fact all we have ever done is changed the engine oil, trans fluid , timing belt, starter and spark plugs this car is amazing has not even needed brakes.

I think I am probably going to take it some where if it ends up being a rack but if its something smaller like a pump or sensor i will just do it my self.

Thank you for your time.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

heres a video on suspension. to help find the problem To me its either a rack issue or power steering pump
        whats throwing me is the easy turning. if the pump was suspect the steering would be hard.C8-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scFbb43f … plpp_video

thepopethepope
        Participant

Its definitely not turning hard. I suspect a rack problem but cant seam to find a example of one failing like this on google, and if I did I’m going to let a shop condemn if. (if they can being intermittent) I guess I was hoping in the off chance someone had come across something like this, and would know a more exact cause. example if there was a regulator on the system and it was bad.

I drove it for 20 minutes today and it was fine. witch is probably a good thing since I realized half way I forgot my cell phone and wallet.

KreeKree
          Participant

I going to take a stab at this one. I have a 2000 Accord and have never had this problem myself, but i’ve heard of some issues having to do with the power steering. Does the Accord have ESP? (Electronic Power Steering) if this is so, the issue you having could be to do with the computer that controls ESP. Over time these are known to play up.

college mancollege man

If you shine a flash light in the P/s reservoir do you see a silver hue? The only thing I can figure
              is the rack is leaking internally or P/S pump relief valve is stuck internally and is supplying to much
              pressure to the rack. C8-)

thepopethepope
              Participant

Quoted From college man:

If you shine a flash light in the P/s reservoir do you see a silver hue? The only thing I can figure
                is the rack is leaking internally or P/S pump relief valve is stuck internally and is supplying to much
                pressure to the rack. C8-)

Fluid looks black as night in the bottle with light, on my finger it was a light brown. no silver, but this did just recently happened. Do you think its worth replacing the pump? Since that is obviously much cheaper than a rack witch I would have to pay someone to do.

college mancollege man

I can’t guarantee the pump is the issue. don’t want to waste your money. Try changing the p/s fluid.
                  If you try this procedure in the video.Do not start the car. just turning the wheels lock to lock is sufficient
                  to purge the old fluid out.The car will need to be up on jack standsC8-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xstszfz1Dp8

thepopethepope
                  Participant

Quoted From college man:

I can’t guarantee the pump is the issue. don’t want to waste your money. Try changing the p/s fluid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xstszfz1Dp8

Is light brown dirty? what should clean fluid look like. if it was already broken would changing the fluid help. Plus the nearest Honda dealer ship (I beleave I can only use Honda fluid) is 45 minutes away.

hondaslave1342hondaslave1342
                    Participant

hey,,just a quick one=i own the same year, make and model…i liked how you state this car is amazing, never needed brakes…i bought mine with 343,000 miles and done all routine maint=timing belts, trans fluid, oil. etc..it currently has 674,500 miles..all original radiator, alternator, starter, shocks, and even 350,000 on current axles…. these dont have electric steering..agree with top comment-change fluid…i guess well see if eric can figure it out…MAYBE A VIDEO RESPONSE ON ETCG..HONDASLAVE OUT….

college mancollege man

Honda fluid should look clear to honey colored. If you do decide to flush the system use Honda fluid.C8-)
                        when the component in question is found. the fluid should be changed other wise the system will be
                        starting out with either the wrong fluid or contaminated fluid. Just thought a flush would be a cheap thing to try.

thepopethepope
                        Participant

ok so I finny got it to do it again. I had never really drove it when it was happining since I was in such a hurry.

so let me start over.

So it feels like the steering wheel turns way to easily and its extremely sensitive. I don’t believe there was any play it just felt like it. I also believe the number of turns is normal so my only problem is it turns to easily.

also how much power steering fluid should I buy to do a good flush?

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                          Participant

You also might want to have the alignment checked as incorrect caster can cause steering issues as described. However, it would be a consistent issue and not intermittent. Its just more food for thought though.

Keep us posted

college mancollege man

try looking in your owners manual under fluids and capacity C8-)

thepopethepope
                              Participant

Quoted From college man:

try looking in your owners manual under fluids and capacity C8-)

lol Thats crazy talk 🙂

thepopethepope
                                Participant

well I called the local shop. I went there a while back. its just one guy “the owener” and a lift. He clearly had no idea sounds like hes going to throw a rack and a pump at it. Sounds very expensive. but I have no choice I have to have the car tomorrow.

I was hoping eric would chime in being a honda maccanic, but hes a bizzy guy and he does go out of his way to help people. So o well.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                                  Keymaster

Sorry to take so long but I have seen this issue in the past and it usually ends up being the PS rack. There is a valve inside of it (mechanical) that needs to direct more pressure during parking and less pressure on the highway and given that you need to remove the rack to repair it it’s just as easy to replace the PS rack to repair the issue as that will also account for any other worn parts inside the assembly. It is IMPERATIVE that you only use Honda fluid in that system and NOTHING else, this may be expensive but it will ensure that you don’t have to buy a pump in addition to a PS rack.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…