Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Welcome to Technicians Only/ Introduce yourself

Welcome to Technicians Only/ Introduce yourself

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Technicians Only Welcome to Technicians Only/ Introduce yourself

Tagged: , , ,

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

This forum is started by suggestion from one of the forum members, SpawnedX. The idea behind it is to have a place where technicians can talk about their experiences and ideas concerning their careers and profession. Think of it as sort of an extension to ETCG1 were we talk about things that concern us and the automotive industry. This is for technicians only so please don’t post automotive questions here. If you are a technician welcome to this forum, if not please stay behind the yellow line. Perhaps we can start by introducing ourselves.

I’m Eric Cook aka EricTheCarGuy. I’ve worked as a professional technician since 1996 and have been an ASE master technician for the past 15 years. I worked for Acura at the dealer for about 8 years and spent the rest of my time working at aftermarket shops on both imports and domestics. I’m also an Acura certified master technician which I got as a result of my training at Acura. For a brief time I ran a Carx after I lost my job at Acura, that was interesting and challenging in many ways but I did work with some good people there and learned a lot about running an automotive business as a result of that experience. Now I have a successful auto repair show on the internet as well as a successful website and forum. To be honest my favorite job so far has been working as ETCG, it seems my entire career including my termination from Acura has led me to this place and I could not be happier with the result. I suppose that just goes to show you never know where you’re going to end up.

Welcome to the Technicians Only forum, I look forward to getting to know you and your work better.

ETCG

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 373 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      SpawnedXSpawnedX
      Participant

My name is Michael. I graduated from MTTI in automotive service and I hold an ASE certification in the A1 (Engine Repair), A4 (Suspension & Steering), A5 (Brakes) and A6 (Electrical/Electronic Systems). I specialize in electrical diagnosis and repair. Currently I just took a position with a Subaru dealership and hope to be sent to the manufacturer’s school and work on finishing my ASE certifications to become a Master Tech.

Suby DugSuby Dug
        Participant

Howdy my name is Doug.

After getting out of the Army (infantry) I went to Spokane Community College, and graduated in 2001 with top honors.

I worked at a few mom and pop shops and then for a Nissan/Infanty stealership. Got tired of that rat race and decide I would pursue my other passion of wanting to be a teacher. So I worked here and there in various shops that needed part time help. While going to school (to be a history professor,) and for a Honda dealership (no a stealership) during the summertimes. Eventually fell in love with subaru’s and became a self taught suby tech and got a job in a small audi/suby shop as the in house suby tech. After that I opened up my own quasi suby shop, and had lots of fun doing it, and worked as a substitute C.T.E. teacher.

Well life happens between decisions and I never did get that professor job, but eventually after hard work and lots of applications I got a job at a skills center (so glad I don’t have to deal all that High School B.S.) in the Seattle area, and am on my first year of teaching.

Its a blast and by far the most challenging and rewarding job I have had. I have a ton of work ahead of me, to get it to where the place needs to be. But how often does one get handed a “shop” and gets told it’s your shop, and you have clean slate. Design the program how you want, and bring it up to the industry standards, and equipment as you see fit/is necessary.

Along with that, I am hoping to finish up my Master A.S.E. this year, and work on getting the school N.A.T.E.F and AYES accreditation and certification that it needs.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
          Participant

Hey all,

I’m Dale and currently work as a technician in a independent repair facility. We work on any make and model vehicles. All our techs apart from one are ASE certified.

I have been working in the auto industry since 08 so i am still somewhat new to the field as you say. Allot of my education is from college as well as on the job learning.

I am very interested in possibly starting my own business eventually but that is not for another 5 to 10 years at least.

Thats all i can think of as my brain is fried from work :/

Heath KnoxHeath Knox
            Participant

Hello I’m Heath,

I am a ASE master tech, I graduated from Rosedale Tech. I am currently employed at AAMCO Total Car care.

I hope to help out as much as I can on Eric’s site.
              And his words Stay Dirty!

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
              Keymaster

Great to see you here Heath I know you’ll be a great asset to this forum. It was good to have lunch with you the other day too, it’s been a long time since we did that and I’m glad we didn’t get Woppers this time, to this day I still can’t eat those.

Matthew John RooneyMatthew John Rooney
                Participant

Hello I’m Matt I would classify myself as a new tech I am also taking the old school route trying to become successful I started as a diyer about 4 years ago since then I worked at a jiffy lube for about 9 months I now work at a auto hobby skills center on marine corps base quantico where military, vets, and DoD civilians can bring there cars and use professional tools and lifts we also teach basic classes for beginners. I also currently work at a mom and pop shop.

SteveSteve
                  Participant

Hello to all the fellow techs here.My name is Steve,but you can call me odie.I started working in this fine field officially in 1983 at a shell gas station pumping gas and washing windows,checking oil.I eventually graduated into changing tires,and so on and so forth.Now I do everything (Except electrical repair) because I just cant figure out how to read the damn diagrams,but hopefully I can learn from you Eric.I am not certified in anything,and have never had a problem getting a job anywhere.I work at a locally owned and operated shop,which employs just 2 techs,and 1 secretary ( I am included as 1 of the techs).We have a 4 bay shop,2 of them are mine,plus plenty room outside to tear into anything.Were constantly busy,but we try not to schedule much on saturdays because were only there for 4 hours.I work on just about anything that comes in.Lately we have been working on alot of older muscle cars and such.Word gets out an they have all been coming out of the wood work.Looks like a great site,going to enjoy myself here.I am a joker sometimes,banana: and love having a great time.

sig061sig061
                    Participant

Alright.. I’ll be the oddball.

My name is Tony and I live in the Akron OH area. I’m in my 17th year full-time at a Police Dept. My user name… SIG061? Sig Sauer and badge #.

Lieutenant of mine introduced me to a friend and neighbor of his. This guy is a former Honda Master Tech., with an independent shop and… well, I drive Hondas.

Truth is.. I’ve always had junky cars, little cash, and “try” to fix things myself. On the other hand, I realize how lucky I am to have been raised by a father that made me help him. (Otherwise known as — Learn)

So here I am trying to keep my cars going and constantly helping my friends. Well, as fate would have it, one of my co-workers dropped off a car at the Honda Guy’s. Apparently I came up in conversation. Ironically the same day or next day, I happened to call the Honda Tech. to steal some advice from him. He tells me that he “heard” that I like to work on cars. He suggested I should work for him.

Wow! The opportunity to work with and learn from a “real mechanic!” There was no way I was going to let this opportunity slip by! I’ve been there ever since. I work there on my days off, after work, and most of my vacations! I know it sounds crazy.. but I love the work. I can’t tell you (you probably know) how nice it is to see happy customers! I usually don’t have the luxury at my “day job!”

I’ve busted my butt trying to absorb everything I can. I’ve read countless books, watched countless videos, found ETCG, and study everything I can get my hands on.
                      Thus Far… I’m A1, A5, A7 certified. Shortly I will add A4, A6 & A8.
                      I would love to be a Master Tech., but we avoid Transmission Work. 👿

EDIT: A6 & A8 as of yesterday!

sig061sig061
                      Participant

Alright.. I’ll be the oddball.

My name is Tony and I live in the Akron OH area. I’m in my 17th year full-time at a Police Dept. My user name… SIG061? Sig Sauer and badge #.

Lieutenant of mine introduced me to a friend and neighbor of his. This guy is a former Honda Master Tech., with an independent shop and… well, I drive Hondas.

Truth is.. I’ve always had junky cars, little cash, and “try” to fix things myself. On the other hand, I realize how lucky I am to have been raised by a father that made me help him. (Otherwise known as — Learn)

So here I am trying to keep my cars going and constantly helping my friends. Well, as fate would have it, one of my co-workers dropped off a car at the Honda Guy’s. Apparently I came up in conversation. Ironically the same day or next day, I happened to call the Honda Tech. to steal some advice from him. He tells me that he “heard” that I like to work on cars. He suggested I should work for him.

Wow! The opportunity to work with and learn from a “real mechanic!” There was no way I was going to let this opportunity slip by! I’ve been there ever since. I work there on my days off, after work, and most of my vacations! I know it sounds crazy.. but I love the work. I can’t tell you (you probably know) how nice it is to see happy customers! I usually don’t have the luxury at my “day job!”

I’ve busted my butt trying to absorb everything I can. I’ve read countless books, watched countless videos, found ETCG, and study everything I can get my hands on.
                        Thus Far… I’m A1, A5, A7 certified. Shortly I will add A4, A6 & A8.
                        I would love to be a Master Tech., but we avoid Transmission Work. 👿

EDIT: A6 & A8 as of yesterday!

jeep72jeep72
                        Participant

Hi My Name is Tom I graduated from UTI in automotive service and Diesel Service and Ford Fact Training and I hold an ASE certification in Brakes.

jeep72jeep72
                          Participant

Hi My Name is Tom I graduated from UTI in automotive service and Diesel Service and Ford Fact Training and I hold an ASE certification in Brakes.

RafaelRafael
                            Participant

HI I’M RAFAEL (YOU CAN TELL ME RALPH) I HAVE 26 YEAR EXPERIENCE IN CARS MY GRAN GRAN PA STARTER A MECHANICS AUTOREPIAR IN MEXICO CITY AROUND 1900 HE FIXED THOSE FORD “T” (AWSOME ISN’T? I’LL POST A PHOTO AFTER) AND SO ON, MY GRAN PA(ACTUALLY WAS MY GRAND MA’S BROTHER) TAUGHT ME MECHANICS, I BEGAN TO WORK WITH HIM, THEN I MOVE TO YUCATAN WHERE I WORKED FOR TOYOTA MERIDA, ON 2003 I WORKED FOR VW DEALER UNTILL 2008, WHEN I FELT IN THE GENERATORS FIELDS, CUMMINS GENERATORS 2 YEARS AND THEN I DECIDE TO WORK ON MY OWN SINCE 2010. IT’S BEEN A HARD WAY TO RESTART BUT THIS IS MY LIFE,CARS, AND I LIKE THE WAY THAT ERICK TALKS TROUGH YOUTUBE, HOPE SHARE EXPERIENCE AND HAVE FUN HERE… SEE YA

Attachments:
                              RafaelRafael
                              Participant

HI I’M RAFAEL (YOU CAN TELL ME RALPH) I HAVE 26 YEAR EXPERIENCE IN CARS MY GRAN GRAN PA STARTER A MECHANICS AUTOREPIAR IN MEXICO CITY AROUND 1900 HE FIXED THOSE FORD “T” (AWSOME ISN’T? I’LL POST A PHOTO AFTER) AND SO ON, MY GRAN PA(ACTUALLY WAS MY GRAND MA’S BROTHER) TAUGHT ME MECHANICS, I BEGAN TO WORK WITH HIM, THEN I MOVE TO YUCATAN WHERE I WORKED FOR TOYOTA MERIDA, ON 2003 I WORKED FOR VW DEALER UNTILL 2008, WHEN I FELT IN THE GENERATORS FIELDS, CUMMINS GENERATORS 2 YEARS AND THEN I DECIDE TO WORK ON MY OWN SINCE 2010. IT’S BEEN A HARD WAY TO RESTART BUT THIS IS MY LIFE,CARS, AND I LIKE THE WAY THAT ERICK TALKS TROUGH YOUTUBE, HOPE SHARE EXPERIENCE AND HAVE FUN HERE… SEE YA

Attachments:
                                Col .Mantras=--=Col.Mantras=-
                                Participant

Hello!

My name is Jason McCoy and I’m from Ottawa, Canada. I’ve been working as a licensed technician here in Canada for quite a few years. I started out at a GM dealer and from there went to small independent shops where I honed skills in most makes and models. One place I worked at was also a body shop so I learned how to do that as well. I spent some time with Ford, as well as 4 years with Honda. I’m a Honda factory trained certified technician. I have left Honda in the last year to pursue opening my own shop.

I currently own 3 Ford Crown Victoria ex police cars and my spouse has a 2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS.

I look forward to hearing everyones stories, and helping out where I can.

Col .Mantras=--=Col.Mantras=-
                                  Participant

Hello!

My name is Jason McCoy and I’m from Ottawa, Canada. I’ve been working as a licensed technician here in Canada for quite a few years. I started out at a GM dealer and from there went to small independent shops where I honed skills in most makes and models. One place I worked at was also a body shop so I learned how to do that as well. I spent some time with Ford, as well as 4 years with Honda. I’m a Honda factory trained certified technician. I have left Honda in the last year to pursue opening my own shop.

I currently own 3 Ford Crown Victoria ex police cars and my spouse has a 2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS.

I look forward to hearing everyones stories, and helping out where I can.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 373 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…