Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • What Caused this Torque converter failure?

What Caused this Torque converter failure?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here What Caused this Torque converter failure?

• Creator
    Topic
    Bill HaleenBill Haleen
    Participant

I’ve watched the TC video and still can’t figure out what part in the TC can cause the failure I’m About to describe.

I was accelerating very hard merging onto a freeway when i lost forward motion and the engine hit the rev limiter. coasted to the shoulder. The engine was running but no motion, forward or reverse, just a whining noise as i hit the gas. After researching the failure, i had the transmission replaced, but used the same TC as i Liked the low Stall speed it has. That worked for the mechanics test drive and my test drive. I took the car and start running errands. About 3 miles from the shop I was coming to a light and decided to down shift manually to check things out. At that time I got the same failure as before. No motion, forward or reverse. Had her towed back to the shop. Since the failure was the same and the only part of the tranny that remained the same was the TC, the TC was changed. Been driving the car for several days now, no issues.

My main question is, What in the TC could fail as described, then work for a short time only to fail again????

Other info — both tranny’s came from JASPER, an engine, tranny remanufacturer. the TC that failed was from American Hot Rod Solutions. The TC that is installed Now is also from JASPER (came with the tranny) But I don’t like the stall speed on it.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Without inspecting I would think there is an issue with either the stator or lockup clutch.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…