Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • what is this box on top of my transmission?

what is this box on top of my transmission?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Girls in the Garage what is this box on top of my transmission?

• Creator
    Topic
    colleencolleen
    Participant

here’s 2 pics attached. front view pic – the big hose on top is my (lower)radiator hose. this ‘box’ is mounted to the top of the transmission housing. it’s covered with motor oil and I’m trying to figure out where its coming from. top view pic – the rear ‘knob’ with the crimped hose attached looks to be the source. I have no idea what these components are.

96 accord 4 cyl vtec. any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments:
    Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      jordanjordan
      Participant

I’m not sure what you’re talking about, but if it’s what I think it’s the distributor, on my civic 99 the ­’O’ ring of the distributor leak and it’s make a mess :unsure:

college mancollege man

[quote=”adamint” post=84805]here’s a pic attached. the big hose on top is my radiator hose. this protrusion ‘box’ is off the top of the transmission. it’s covered with gunk and I’m trying to figure out where its coming from. 96 accord 4 cyl vtec. any help would be much appreciated.

looks like I can’t upload right now. will try later.[/quote]

try this link for suggestions on uploading pictures. If you
          have no luck with the link. Send an email at the bottom of
          the page.support @ ericthecarguy.com for login and website support.

http://ericthecarguy.com/kunena/9-ETCG-Suggestion-Box

Kevin CriswellKevin Criswell
          Participant

[quote=”adamint” post=84805]here’s a pic attached. the big hose on top is my radiator hose. this protrusion ‘box’ is off the top of the transmission. it’s covered with gunk and I’m trying to figure out where its coming from. 96 accord 4 cyl vtec. any help would be much appreciated.

looks like I can’t upload right now. will try later.[/quote]

I think you are referring to the IAR canister that sits just above the transmission.

Attachments:
            Kevin CriswellKevin Criswell
            Participant

That has probably just gotten oil on it from a leaking valve cover or distributor O ring.

colleencolleen
              Participant

wow thanks for the input! this is the coolest website ever. apparently this box is called a ‘shift arm cover’ according to this picture on the majestic Honda site.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ACCORD&catcgry2=1996&catcgry3=4DR+EX&catcgry4=KL5MT&catcgry5=MT+TRANSMISSION+HOUSING

doesn’t really clarify the situation too much, tho. the oil leak seems to be isolated to this unit. I’m a noob, but I would think that with a distributor o-ring or valve cover leak, I would also be seeing oil on the distributor or around the valve cover, which I’m not. I don’t know. honestly I have bigger fish to fry right now as I was trying to diagnose my cooling fans not engaging and noticed my condenser fan relays which are mounted to the side of the radiator seemed to be sooty around the wires, so pulled them off, and obviously need to replace both the relays and the male fitting connectors which attach to the wires so not really sure how to go about doing that. so I’m about to put ‘fried relays’ into the search box here. good times 🙂

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…