Menu

What went wrong :( (timing chain)

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here What went wrong :( (timing chain)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Wesley Powell Wesley Powell 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    Wesley Powell
    Wesley Powell
    Participant

Hi guys, Greetings from the UK.

I recently replaced the the timing chain on my beater car and something obviously went very wrong however I cannot figure out what. I am hoping you guys may have some ideas.

So for my POS I have a 2005 toyota yaris, echo I believe you call them in the USA. Its been running like c**p for a while. Low power (even worse than when it’s running properly haha) rough idle and a rattle coming from the engine.

I suspected this may be the timing chain however I wanted to make sure. I did a dry compression test in each cylinder and all were between 150-160 which I thought was alright for its age and mileage (130k). There were no misfires so I assumed the timing must be messed up.

I am a fairly experienced DIY but I have never done a timing chain before, but first time for everything right.

I removed the valve cover and the chain was loose as f**k, upon inspection it seemed the exhaust cam had slipped a tooth which explains why the engine was running like total c**p.

I proceeded to remove all the pullies and other gubbins so I could remove the timing cover and access the timing chain, I rotated the engine so that cylinder 1 was at TDC and as suspected, the inlet cam was a TDC but the exhaust cam was 1 tooth out. Upon looking closer it was obvious the tensioner had failed.

I replaced the chain, tensioner and guides. When I put the chain on I checked that the gold links in the chain lined up with the timing marks on the sprockets, I also checked this after releasing the new tensioner. Additionally I verified cycl one was at TDC and the lobes on both cams were pointing outwards for cyl 1. I rotated the engine 4 or 5 times by hand and all seemed perfect.

I then put everything back together, once again checking before I put the valve cover on that cyl one was TDC and the timing marks were TDC on the cams and the lobes pointing outwards.

I reconnected the battery and tried to start it. It cranked a few times and then I heard that dreaded metal on metal sounds. S**T.

I dismantled everything again and all the timing marks still line up at TDC but the crank will only rotate 180° then jams. It will not rotate either way.

I am aware this means most likely a piston has hit a valve and the engine will need to be stripped down or scrapped but I was so careful to make sure the timing was correct and even referenced the haynes manual to make sure.

I know nothing will save the engine but I just wand to know where I might have gone wrong/ what could cause this. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Wez

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jeffrey Voight
    Jeffrey Voight
    Participant

You say number 1 was TDC. Was it TDC on the compression stroke or exhaust stroke?

Wesley Powell
    Wesley Powell
    Participant

Yes I’m sure. I think maybe there was some tension or slack in the chain somewhere when I first turned it and the crankshaft may have slipped a tooth or two and I’ve not noticed.

Guess I’ll have to take the head off and see what the damage is

Jeffrey Voight
    Jeffrey Voight
    Participant

I’m asking which TDC it was on. Compression or exhaust. It is one or the other. Which one is it?

Wesley Powell
    Wesley Powell
    Participant

I’m sure compression but I never rotated the crank with the chain off anyway. I only moved the cam slightly. Unless I made a massive screw up and and it somehow rotated…

Wesley Powell
    Wesley Powell
    Participant

Wait.. If I put the crankshaft positioning sensor sprocket on backwards could it mess the ignition timing up and cause this to happen?

Jeffrey Voight
    Jeffrey Voight
    Participant

I wouldn’t think so. It is only a signal generator. It wouldn’t cause pistons and valves to collide.

Wesley Powell
    Wesley Powell
    Participant

The engine does have variable valve timing though

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Loading…