Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • what’s the cover underneath the car called?

what’s the cover underneath the car called?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The Body Shop what’s the cover underneath the car called?

• Creator
    Topic
    AdamAdam
    Participant

Every time I drive through rain and puddle my car would stop then run again as if it’s the water is splashing from underneath the car. I checked and under the car it has no covering. What would this be called specifically so I can look for it online? If it’s cheap like plastic is supposed to I will buy it new if not I’ll go to a junk yard.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MikeMike
      Participant

If it’s plastic and held on with plastic clips, it’s referred to as a belly pan. If it’s plastic and has bolts holding it on, call it an underbody shield/tray. If it’s metal and held on with bolts, it’s called a skid plate. Those terms are often interchanged just like all the other parts that have 3 different names, but that’s what you call those things.

AdamAdam
        Participant

so I could use either one of the three since I don’t remember what my car had?

MikeMike
          Participant

What kind of car do you have? Maybe one of us knows offhand what’s supposed to be there.

AdamAdam
            Participant

2001 Toyota Celica GT.

MikeMike
              Participant
                AdamAdam
                Participant

I went to 2 junkyards this past week, hard to believe what they charge almost half. I was looking for those wheel center caps and found something that I thought would fit on my car. They were charging $7.50 for a piece. Brand new on ebay is $14 free shipping so I had to pass on the junk yard junk. I’m sure they’ll charge half price for the splash guard so I might as well just buy new so I know what I’m getting.

AdamAdam
                  Participant

OK so while my buddy was changing my ball joint we saw that on the driver side that there was no plastic cover, covering the transmission part, while the passenger side does. Not sure if this is the cover I need to be looking for and not so much “under” cover but more of a “side” cover. Am I right?

MikeMike
                    Participant

Yes, there are commonly small side splash shields that are separate from the fender liners and belly pan.

http://www.midatlantictoyotaparts.com/oe-toyota/5140820090?gclid=CJLhs93K38QCFefm7AodMygAQQ

Click on the 2nd image on that page to see the dealer parts picture. The vehicle front is on the right side in those pics.

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
                      Participant

Undercovers are generally for aerodynamic purposes rather than keeping things dry. In other words, an effort to increase gas mileage. I’m not saying having one won’t fix your problem but it shouldn’t. Engines are designed to accept wetness. After all, rain comes right through the radiator.

AdamAdam
                        Participant

but why would my car stall when hitting a puddle of water then? The lack of cover under and on the driver side of the “tranny”?

This seem compatible with my car but I don’t know why it’s long, I expect to cover only the engine area, this looks like it goes all the way to the catalytic converter:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDYwMA==/z/QNYAAOSwm8VU0zv3/$_12.JPG

[quote=”barneyb” post=133180]Undercovers are generally for aerodynamic purposes rather than keeping things dry. In other words, an effort to increase gas mileage. I’m not saying having one won’t fix your problem but it shouldn’t. Engines are designed to accept wetness. After all, rain comes right through the radiator.[/quote]

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
                          Participant

I don’t know how large of puddle you are talking about. One thing, car designers often put the engine air intakes in mighty poor places – places where water can be ingested. My car has the air intake at the seam between the grill and the hood. Hit even the smallest puddle and water comes over the hood.

That or you could have some bad wiring. In that case replacing the cover might be a better choice than trying to find what plug the water is getting into. However, normally, this shouldn’t occur.

AdamAdam
                            Participant

Just an update that my car runs well without the cover underneath while running on puddles of water ever since I had my serpentine belt changed. So it was more of that problem than a cover underneath issue. Thanks for all the feedback.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            Loading…