Menu

Wheel/axle noise?

• Creator
    Topic
    SteveSteve
    Participant

As my username suggests, I have a 2000 Tundra. It isn’t driven much, but the last time I fired it up, I noticed a rubbing/scraping sound coming from what I believe was the left front wheel. I can’t be positive about its location. I had heard this sound much more faintly in prior trips, but never as bad as it was recently.

The sound itself seems to correlate with wheel speed. Meaning, it’s a longer, slower sound just crawling forward, but a shorter, faster sound at any speed. I turned it around and parked it. The sound didn’t seem to have any correlation to turning. It happened while rolling in a straight line and the noise didn’t change while turning to either side.

Possibly related, the 4×4 wouldn’t engage the last time I actually drove it anywhere, maybe a month prior to the above. While it has a tendency to sit, when I drive it, I always put it in 4×4 for a little bit to keep things moving. Not enough, it would seem.

Many thanks for any assistance, folks.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

If the vehicle sits for any extended period, might look at your rotors and brakes for rust.
        Not uncommon for it to build up and cause noises.

SteveSteve
        Participant

It has newer pads/rotors/calipers on it. All have been replaced in the last 3.5 years. It had been driven at least once a month until maybe July, and then only once since then. Would that type of use and time frame be consistent with pad/rotor rust?

Perhaps to clarify, the sound happened just coasting down the street. No brake pedal engagement.

Participant

It had been driven at least once a month until maybe July, and then only once since then. Would that type of use and time frame be consistent with pad/rotor rust?
            Quite possibly.
            With humidity, dampness etc.
            It may take a little bit of a drive 3 -7 miles to clear the rust.
            How far do you actual drive the vehicle and does the noise remain or decreases?
            Another possibility is perhaps is wheel bearings

SteveSteve
            Participant

After a little more poking around, I think it might be the brake dust shield rubbing against the back of the rotor. I was only looking through the wheel, but I could see very minor rust on the face of the rotor, but the dust shield looked very crusty. Though not obviously touching the rotor, it was impossible to tell without taking the wheel(s) off.

It sounds almost exactly like this:

Participant

Only sure way to check would be remove the wheel(s) and spin the rotor(s)
                If the dust shield is not touching the rotor then it can’t make a scrapping sound.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…