Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Will a timing belt throw a OBD-1 code? 1993 HOnda accord.

Will a timing belt throw a OBD-1 code? 1993 HOnda accord.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Will a timing belt throw a OBD-1 code? 1993 HOnda accord.

• Creator
    Topic
    Dan FisherDan Fisher
    Participant

Eric, (1993 Honda accord)Car was shifting from 2 to 3rd when we just lost power and died. Car would turn over and over but would not start again. Tow truck driver said he thought it was the timing belt. If it was the timing belt, I was told not to crank the engine over in fear of internal damage.

I tried to access any codes from the car before attempting to doing the timing belt. When I closed the circuit with a wire, I didn’t get any flashing just a solid engine light. Does this mean the car didn’t have any codes? Without the wire the engine light is not on, with the wire the engine light stays solid, no flashes.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

If the engine light is not on, Then the computer has not seen any faults. Remove the timing belt cover
        and inspect the belt. I would also line up the timing marks to see if the car is in time and not jumped
        teeth.

Sam RoodmanSam Roodman
        Participant

Broken timing belt will often show 0 codes on an OBD-1 engine. Either remove the distributor cap and have someone just bump the engine to see if the rotor spins, or do as previously mentioned, pull the timing cover and inspect the belt physically. When the one on my 94 snapped (On the highway of all places) I pulled the distributor cap and had someone crank the car for a brief bump and determined stuff up top just aint spinning

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…