Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Yukon 5.7 distributor cap rotor corroded every 2000 miles

Yukon 5.7 distributor cap rotor corroded every 2000 miles

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Yukon 5.7 distributor cap rotor corroded every 2000 miles

• Creator
    Topic
    joey dominojoey domino
    Participant

Looks like a great set of people offering input here. First post.
      At my wits end with my 1999 GMC Yukon Denali 5.7L R code @ 215k miles. I am hoping for a simple solution.
      Here is a quick and dirty, truck from Georgia great shape, rust free, got from a friend that did oil every 3-4k, and regular maintenance on time with records. It’s eating distributor caps every 2000-3000 miles. (have pic but couldn’t figure out how to post it yet) He had the same problem, I’ve owned it for about 3 years now and have changed cap and rotor about 6 or 7 times in 20k miles. Thankfully I have a lifetime cap and rotor from AutoZone but I’ve used several brands, including AC Delco, no change in results.
      Here is what I’ve personally changed in the last 3 years related to misfiring, roughly in order, vacuum leaks, Fuel injector spider (Upgraded AC Delco unit, original was toast) AC Delco OEM iridium spark plugs, Billet distributor (didn’t realize it had already been changed to aftermarket distributor) Autozone gold spark plug wires 2X (replaced fairly new set of AC Delco wires that I think were better but trying to rule everything out) Autozone Gold Distributor Cap and Rotor 6X (lifetime) AC Delco coil (replacing a holley coil) and ignition module…still after a few months it starts misfiring and the cap looks like the pic.

Thinking there must be moisture getting in, I tried using a little RTV to seal the cap to distributor, tried coating inside of distributor cap very lightly WD 40, I’ve read every blog and posting about these old 5.7’s misfiring. P0300’s if I let it go, and sometimes it clears itself in a day or two but comes back so I just swap out the cap.

Short of changing the cap and rotor every few months which isn’t a deal breaker, I’m out of ideas. With each new cap it runs really great, smooth and strong @ 215k.
      I am wondering if it could be an electrical issue….bad ground? Contamination into distributor?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

When you say ” eating distributor caps every 2000-3000 miles ”
        Are you meaning something like this:
        https://tech.mirage-performance.com/images/4g4g93distributorcaprotor07.jpg

joey dominojoey domino
        Participant

Hi Richard, thank you for your response. I do have pictures, can’t figure out how to post them. The contacts do look quite similar to the picture in your post, basically corroded, white, green, with some black sometimes. Do you have ideas?

joey dominojoey domino
          Participant

Richard, also sorry for the delay, I was hoping i’d get an email when there was a response. Thanks again.

Participant

What you may be experiencing is ionization
              Where the air inside the cap become electronically charged.
              Many of these issues are caused by condensation building up inside the cap, which can be minimized, or even eliminated by using a vented distributor cap.

joey dominojoey domino
              Participant

Richard, Thank you. I’ve checked my new, billet distributor to see if the vent was plugged, it has a screen vent which is wide open. Is that what you mean? Any other way to deal with it?
                https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-premium-ignition-distributor-with-cap-and-rotor-new-t1829/10435875-P

Participant

Might try applying some dielectric grease to each tip inside the cap.
                  You may still get build up, but it is easily removed.

joey dominojoey domino
                  Participant

Good thought Richard. I’ll try the dielectric grease next time. I wire brushed the terminals last time and worked pretty well, cleaned up easily. way better than heading to the parts store each time. Thanks for the input.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…