Menu

Zero power, 2011 Kia Optima SX

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Zero power, 2011 Kia Optima SX

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Nightflyr * Richard Kirshy 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    John James
    John James
    Participant

I have no power to the vehicle: no dome light, no power lock, no alarm, can’t open trunk, NOTHING. A few months back, this first happened while I was driving. The car just died while I was leaving the house. I opened the hood and tried to figure out what was going on. 10 min or so later, I closed the hood. And the power came back on. About a month ago, it happened again while I was driving on the road. It was bit different. While I was driving, the car would not let me accelerate even if I stepped on the gas. And then, the car died while it was moving. 1 second later, the car came back on and was driving fine. So I turned around and came home, 5 minutes away. Since the car was working, I left the house and few house down the street, it died again. This time, the car did not came back on. My neighbors helped me to push the car as I left it in neutral. Once we got the car pushed onto the driveway, it came back on again. 5 seconds later, it died again. Now, it has been sitting for a month without any power to anywhere.

I checked the main fuse coming from the battery, 150A. It was fine. So I used the circuit tester to check the fuses. Since there is no power, I cannot turn the car on. I checked fuses without power. Some had ~3.5A. I have no idea what is wrong with it.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Nightflyr *
    Richard Kirshy
    Participant

Did you check the battery cable (both ends)connections, also the main power feed(s) into the fuse box.
    Might also test the battery and alternator.

John James
    John James
    Participant

All basics have been checked. Why would I check the alternator for not getting power at all to the entire vehicle? I am not saying the battery does not charge up. Battery is fully charged. Power is coming from the battery.

John James
    John James
    Participant

Some of the PDM fuses did not get anything….

Nightflyr *
    Richard Kirshy
    Participant

Why would I check the alternator for not getting power at all to the entire vehicle?

Oh I don’t know … perhaps a intermediate short in the internal rectifier.
    BTW .. do you happen to know if the charging system is computer controlled and if so is it being commanded correctly?
    Your losing main / secondary power across the board that kinda narrows the field as to possibilities IE main inputs / outputs to / from the battery, alternator and power distribution block.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Loading…