Menu

impact wrench vs impact driver?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk impact wrench vs impact driver?

• Creator
    Topic
    colleencolleen
    Participant

hey all, hoping for some opinions on these two different types of impacts. I will be shopping around for a cordless unit I can take to a junkyard and whizz old parts off, also for lugnuts, etc.

checked out a harbor freight 1/2″ drive corded wrench and it was a little too much tool for me, also, without a variable speed that I would prefer.

eric’s review of the 12v dewalt was almost kindof sad. thanks for the extensive review, though eric.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      AndrewAndrew
      Participant

An impact wrench is square drive used to drive sockets. They are generally more powerful than an impact driver which is 1/4 hex and takes insert bits. You can use a 1/4 hex to a socket adapter, but you loose quite a bit of torque through the adapter.

If you’re primarily driving sockets go for an impact driver, if you’re using it as a DIY at home you might like the impact driver better.

Nolan KettleNolan Kettle
        Participant

I have a 24 volt 1/2 inch drive impact identical to the one in this link: Half inch impact. 410 foot lbs of torque. Mine does pretty well on lug nuts with a full charge. and i use it almost daily. That would be my recommendation. The hex impacts do not have the power for most nuts or bolts, and perform at a much lower level than even the unit Eric had reviewed. In my opinion it is probably the best tool for the price for what you need it for. other than that, A milwaukee,makita,ingersoll rand,or dewalt half inch impact would be a good brand name option for a much lesser price than a snap on, mac, or matco. I also bought a set of adapters so i can adapt down to 3/8 and 1/4 inch. Hope this helps! keep us apdated!

colleencolleen
          Participant

thanks for the responses to this post. I can see I was a bit uninformed when starting this thread, and need to look around in the impact wrench selection since I wont be driving screws.

the 1/2 in drives with minimum 18v cordless units look to be the way to go on these types of wrenches. I am interested in this dewalt 18v mainly for the price, (20% off till end of month), the 2 batteries included, the smaller size (being a woman, I have small hands), and the variable speed. one reviewer did state he had to hold the wrench on his lug nuts for a bit to release them.

one more question – the specs for this wrench state 1740 in/lbs. of turning force. Do I divide this number by 12 to get total ft/lbs of torque this is capable of? for example, 1740/12=145. 145 is the maximum ft/lbs of torque I can achieve, and that number should be the same on forward & reverse settings (I assume). so I SHOULD be able to either pull a nut/bolt that is set to 145 ft/lbs or drive a nut/bolt to 145 ft/lbs. is this correct?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-18-Volt-XRP-Ni-Cad-1-2-in-13mm-Cordless-Impact-Wrench-Kit-DC820KA/202512394?MERCH=REC-_-product-3-_-202196560-_-202512394-_-N#customer_reviews

so if I want to set my lug nuts to 80 ft/lbs, this should be no problem. its just slightly concerning that someone had to hold it on their lug nuts for a bit. unless their lugnuts were set to around this wrenches max capability, (145 ft/lbs), which I find unlikely, they were probably set to max 100 ft/lbs, if overtorqued. so that’s my only doubt about this, I’m not convinced of the ft/lb spec as stated. I may have to keep shopping, I haven’t decided yet.

thanks again for opinions.

Nolan KettleNolan Kettle
            Participant

I would recommend watching Eric’s video review of the 3/8 inch tool. In my opinion 145 ft lbs is low. Not necessarily suited for lug nuts. My opinion would be to purchase something with 250 ft lbs or better. Because even though its rated at 145, and in your case you stated 80 ft lbs on your lugs, you have to account for corrosion on the threads/lugs. More often than not it takes a little bit of extra force to break them free. On the other hand if you’re only using it on your vehicle and for occasional use, you may find it suits you just fine.

colleencolleen
              Participant

AND THE WINNER IS…..the same wrench I already returned to h-freight. just bought it again. not cordless, but at $40 on sale, just seemed like the most bang for my buck, (230 ft/lbs torque), so my junkyard forays aren’t going to be super-stylin’ as of yet. someday.

any tips on not destroying studs and bolts? I found I didn’t really have the knack for ‘sensing’ when to stop and have hence come to learn from experience that fasteners, especially small ones, are FRAGILE! some of them are so damn tiny. thanks again!

Attachments:
                Rudy WilmothRudy Wilmoth
                Participant

🙂 I have the same tool as you have purchased, and after four years it still works fine. It will remove crankshaft bolts if you have enough room to get the impact in there.You will not overpower most bolts or nuts as all your torque is delivered until you hold the impact on a nut or bolt and let the impact hammer the bolt or nut. You will learn how long to hold the trigger to get them impact to take off the nut or bolt. Now it will make a lot of racket when it is impacting on the bolt or nut, do not just keep on hammering on a bolt or nut if it does not release in reasonable amount of time. How long is that amount of time, well experience will tell you when you are removing a bolt or nut and when you are not doing any thing but making some noise. You need to use a good drop cord with the rating to carry the current to power the wrench. Just as a small hose will now flow enough air for a air impact, the use of a plain house drop cord for this impact will not power it properly. A good commercial grade electrical line will work fine. Good Luck with your new tool.

colleencolleen
                  Participant

THANKS for the replies to my post. Also wondering, with a hefty gun like this, can I safely REMOVE smaller fasteners? I wouldn’t use the wrench to install these fasteners, I think that would be bad. While on the topic of removing fasteners, I’ve read that impact + heat is the way to go (plus penetrating oil) for stubborn bolts. How hot should the heat be? Is a micro butane torch going to do anything? I’m getting a cheapie heat gun to try to help remove glued on spark plug seals on my valve cover, which advertises over 1000f. I’m guessing any type of open flame could surpass this, don’t really know. just fishing for opinions.

on an unrelated note, is there anything as satisfying as chillin’ and watching ETCG videos? just want to make popcorn and enjoy 🙂

EDIT: yes working on my car is funner than watching videos…..especially when I don’t break anything! note also that the heat gun SUCKED for my glued on spark plug tube seals.

AND OF COURSE ERIC ALREADY ANSWERED MY STUCK BOLT QUESTION with one of his videos…

how to use a torch to remove rusty bolts!! exciting.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…