Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Ratchet and Socket Sets – Husky; Gearwrench; SK

Ratchet and Socket Sets – Husky; Gearwrench; SK

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk Ratchet and Socket Sets – Husky; Gearwrench; SK

• Creator
    Topic
    RobertRobert
    Participant

I recently started working on my own 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee and purchased many tools including a full set of Husky Ratchets and Sockets. My concern is the sockets seem thin walled and I do not want to be under the vehicle working on a rusted bolt and have a socket break. Is Gearwrench or SK a significantly better set of sockets and less likely to break under torque or are they all about the same as Husky?

I do know that Bain Capital purchased Apex in 2011 and I have confirmed that Apex moved the Gearwrench ratchet and socket manufacturing from Taiwan to China. What I do not know is if that makes any difference. I also have confirmed through Home Depot that their brand Husky is sourced from Apex. Get where I am going here?

My inclination is to go to SK for the simple reason they likely have not “streamlined” their product.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Christopher SipesChristopher Sipes
      Participant

There is nothing wrong with using a Husky ratchet and socket set. My brother has a set of them that I have used (working on his car) and have never had an issue with them. There is also nothing wrong with Gearwrench or SK that I know of.

Every brand has it’s pros and cons, what really matters is your personal opinion (your tool & your money) and what tools you are comfortable with. The best thing I can tell you is that there is not single ‘greatest maker’ of tools.

There is a serious financial aspect to this whole discussion as well. For what you can get for $200 – 300 at HD for a Husky tool kit can easily run you at least a thousand (probably more) buying the same set up (socket for socket, wrench for wrench) from SK. So if this is just a hobby, I’d stick with Husky, Kobalt, Gearwrench, Craftsman, etc., unless you really want something in particular like a Snap On ratchet or SK set of line wrenches.

MikeMike
        Participant

Yep, Shipfittin has pretty much got it broken down. I could say the same thing my own way, but it would still be same thing. Any of them are fine for hobbyist work. My Gearwrench ratcheting wrenches have super strong open ends, really resistant to spreading. They are nearly as strong as snap-on open ends which says a lot.

Pat61Pat61
          Participant

Pick ’em up and get a feel. Your bare hand can’t tell you if it’s great tool steel, but it will give you an idea as to the fit & finish. If the tools feel good and have some heft, they probably are decent.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…