Menu

Air hammer

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk Air hammer

• Creator
    Topic
    Lucas DesjardinsLucas
    Participant

Hello all, I am seeking the advice of fellow technicians. . I am in the market for a new air hammer to be used on a professional basis. I have used Mac, snap-on and ingersoll rand. My question is which one do you guys personally use on a daily basis. Thanks everyone

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MikeMike
      Participant

I’ve had a Snap-On PH3050 for about 9 years. The other 2 you mention are what is known to me to be the only 2 other top grade air hammers. I haven’t owned them, but have tried them and a few others. All 3 are great, but I have no regrets going with the Snap-On model. It’s diesel. It has recently been replaced with a newer model with a slightly different part number, which is the same tool but it got a facelift.

I would say you are good with any of those 3 because they are the true players. Go with whatever one makes the most sense for you to get. In a perfect world it would be the Snap-On, but the other 2 are 90% of it when all other ones are far less. No reason to go crazy for Snap-On if it’s not convenient.

Something to consider with air hammer chucks. The nice new ones on the ones we’re talking about have a new style chuck that is similar to a quick-disconnect air or water hose coupler, instead of the oil style spring-type. If the air hammer is operated without manually pressing the bit against something, the hammer mechanism will shoot the bit against the retaining balls inside the collar and mar the shit out of the rim on the bit. The old spring style chuck doesn’t do that, but they’ve all been going to the quick release just because it requires less effort to change bits. You shouldn’t be doing that anyway, but I’ve seen a couple people play around pretending to shoot it in the air like it’s a gun….

GregGreg
        Participant

Another vote for snap on I have tried the others but imho it is the best gun on the market right now. The others you have mentioned are also good units the snap on just hits harder.

zerozero
          Participant

Third vote for Snap-On.

I had bought a “nicer” retail IR, but it just couldn’t cut it on the tougher jobs. Like GM ball joint rivets. I kinda wish I had kept the smaller one for smaller jobs though as it was quieter and lighter.

James O'HaraJames O’Hara
            Participant

Snap-On PH3050BR AIR HAMMER-RED W/ QC CHUCK

The IR 118Maxx does not last as long. I have used both the Snap-On has a little more power.

There is also the option of Chicago Pneumatic CP717K Super Duty Air Hammer Kit Manufacturer Information – Chicago Pneumatic CP717K Super Duty Air Hammer Kit I have not personally used this one.

I have heard nothing but, good things about the CP717. I will warn you though from what I have heard the thing kicks very very hard. So even though the beats per minute is low the power is ridiculous. The bit size is also larger which can make getting bits kind of a pain in the ass. Also with as hard as people say it kicks I wonder how controllable it is.

Btw, I would recommend looking at Mayhew Bits. Just make sure they are not Mayhew Select. You want Mayhew Pro. Mayhew Pro 37322 Professional Tool Set for Air Hammers, 9-Piece or the Massive set Mayhew Pro 37394 Pneumatic Display Block, 18-Piece

Everybody elses bits just suck in comparison.

GregGreg
              Participant

While you are at it pick up the fan clutch tool for your air hammer. You will be glad you did

Lucas DesjardinsLucas
                Participant

Thanks everyone. One of our master techs has snap on and one has Mac. I’ve used them both i find the snap on extremely loud to the point that when he uses it, it drowns out everything in the shop you can’t even here you’re self think. I’ve never really looked to see if the baffle is busted or if it’s just an older model when it had to sound like a mean hammer lol.

Sue Anne ReyesSue Anne Reyes
                  Participant

Thank you for the review and recommendation!!

GregGreg
                    Participant

The snap on one is in the march flyer for 411.00

wafrederickwafrederick
                      Participant

I have the Matco MT2816 and it is a powerful beast.Only thing it does is breaks bits and luckily Matco does warranty their air hammer bits which I had to do once so far.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…