Menu

Scan tools

• Creator
    Topic
    John KinnaneJohn Kinnane
    Participant

banana: Hi Eric I watched with great interest the vid on scan tools. I have never really given much thought of being able to diagnose a problem at home before, when you started talking with Danny about it you entered into a different language, one of never heard before. Having said that I would like to learn more about it now and showing what would be the appropriate tool and the cost. Thank you Johnno

PS you really start to feel your age after watching that and how complicated cars have become, you can only imagine whats install for the future.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

I had a great time shooting this video with Paul, aka ScannerDanner. I thought, who better to help answer this question? What are your thoughts.

A toyotakarlIts me

Great vid… Scanner Danner is the MAN! I have to watch his videos around 3 times to keep up with him!

FWIW 1995’s Lexus ES300’s had OBD II as well

Would love a wireless Verus, Currently I have a MODIS… As far as labscope stuff it does what I need it to do (relative compression test)… I am having issues with my screen and Snap on says it will cost $1000 to fix… So it may be time to upgrade… Can get a Verus on EBAY for between 1700-2500 now so I may need to start saving.

One note I think that was not mentioned was the upgrade costs… Snap on uses software versions. I.E. 9.4, 11.2/11.4, 13.4. The key thing to know is that first number I.E. (9) is the year that it can work up to (2009), (11) works on vehicles up to (2011)… Software upgrades run around $1000 last I checked, so it is expensive to try to keep up every year…. Most guys I know do it every 2 to 3 years…

The key thing to know if someone wants to buy one of these scanners used (especially the MODIS) is to check what the software is updated to….. Recently I saw a MODIS that had 3.2 (upgraded to 2003 year vehicles) that they wanted $1500 for… That was no deal… Also on a MODIS if you have anything before 4.1 you will need to also buy an upgraded plug in module (Part Number EAA0319B02A) which costs $499.99… http://www1.snapon.com/diagnostics/us/FAQ/MODISScanner.htm And you will need the software to upgrade it (around $1000) so knowing these things can help you negotiate.

Also, the Snap on MT2500 (the red brick) is a fantastic deal now for a person who works on older cars… Can get them less than $300-$400 on Ebay, the only problem is that Snap on is no longer supporting it, but if you have an older model car and predominately work on older cars, they are a viable economical choice…

Recently I was working on a GM and had to command on the HVAC system in my diagnosis with my MODIS, and the MODIS would not do it…. It does have some good bi-directional controls but nothing like what the TECH-2 could do….

A nice thing about working on Toytas and Lexus is that the T-605 factory scan tool is relatively inexpensive (around $75-$150)… http://www.ebay.com/itm/Memoscan-T605-Toyota-Lexus-Professional-Diagnostic-Tool-for-ABS-Body-Engine-Air-/111209295535?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item19e4972eaf&vxp=mtr

Just a question, Can someone just sign up for a single class (like scanner/labscope training) taught by Paul at Rosedale?

Cheers!

-Karl

Steve WebbSteve Webb
          Participant

Seriously, you guys should hook up to do more videos. Definite video making chemistry! Well done.

Keymaster

[quote=”ToyotaKarl” post=89056]Great vid… Scanner Danner is the MAN! I have to watch his videos around 3 times to keep up with him!

FWIW 1995’s Lexus ES300’s had OBD II as well

Would love a wireless Verus, Currently I have a MODIS… As far as labscope stuff it does what I need it to do (relative compression test)… I am having issues with my screen and Snap on says it will cost $1000 to fix… So it may be time to upgrade… Can get a Verus on EBAY for between 1700-2500 now so I may need to start saving.

One note I think that was not mentioned was the upgrade costs… Snap on uses software versions. I.E. 9.4, 11.2/11.4, 13.4. The key thing to know is that first number I.E. (9) is the year that it can work up to (2009), (11) works on vehicles up to (2011)… Software upgrades run around $1000 last I checked, so it is expensive to try to keep up every year…. Most guys I know do it every 2 to 3 years…

The key thing to know if someone wants to buy one of these scanners used (especially the MODIS) is to check what the software is updated to….. Recently I saw a MODIS that had 3.2 (upgraded to 2003 year vehicles) that they wanted $1500 for… That was no deal… Also on a MODIS if you have anything before 4.1 you will need to also buy an upgraded plug in module (Part Number EAA0319B02A) which costs $499.99… http://www1.snapon.com/diagnostics/us/FAQ/MODISScanner.htm And you will need the software to upgrade it (around $1000) so knowing these things can help you negotiate.

Also, the Snap on MT2500 (the red brick) is a fantastic deal now for a person who works on older cars… Can get them less than $300-$400 on Ebay, the only problem is that Snap on is no longer supporting it, but if you have an older model car and predominately work on older cars, they are a viable economical choice…

Recently I was working on a GM and had to command on the HVAC system in my diagnosis with my MODIS, and the MODIS would not do it…. It does have some good bi-directional controls but nothing like what the TECH-2 could do….

A nice thing about working on Toytas and Lexus is that the T-605 factory scan tool is relatively inexpensive (around $75-$150)… http://www.ebay.com/itm/Memoscan-T605-Toyota-Lexus-Professional-Diagnostic-Tool-for-ABS-Body-Engine-Air-/111209295535?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item19e4972eaf&vxp=mtr

Just a question, Can someone just sign up for a single class (like scanner/labscope training) taught by Paul at Rosedale?

Cheers!

-Karl[/quote]

Good info on the updates. I wish I would have covered that in the video now that I think about it. As for a scanner. I’m actually going to be doing a review on the Encore from OTC soon. You might want to check that one out. It’s very affordable for what you get and has many of the key features mentioned in the video.

Keymaster

[quote=”Webby the Bear” post=89062]Seriously, you guys should hook up to do more videos. Definite video making chemistry! Well done.[/quote]

I really enjoy working with Paul. I hope we do more videos as well. As for the immediate future, you’ve actually got 2 more coming with me and Paul. Stay tuned.

WayneWayne
                Participant

Nice vid. Recognized the ford ODB-I…Bought a cheapo tool for it to show the codes and do basic KOEOn/KOEOff tests on the f-150. Mixed feelings, I don’t dislike it, but ain’t exactly awesome, just difficult to complain about a diagnostic tool for $25..Helped/helps me keep it running anyhow.
                  http://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3145-Ford-Digital-Reader/dp/B000EW0KHW/

JimJim
                  Participant

Another great video, Scanner Danner really knows his stuff!! I used to only have a very basic one I got from HF that just gave the codes, When my dad’s truck had an ABS light come on I started looking for one with that capabilities. I ended up going with the INNOVA 3160, I got it for around $160, I just checked on Amazon and it’s currently $193 so its still in the consumer range for someone who wants one with ABS and more capabilities.

I’m not a pro or anything, but it met my needs for the 3 years I’ve had it. Has anyone else ever considered (or own) this scanner? If so what’s your opinion of it?

Jerry JonesJerry Jones
                    Participant

[quote=”engineer999″ post=89352]Another great video, Scanner Danner really knows his stuff!! I used to only have a very basic one I got from HF that just gave the codes, When my dad’s truck had an ABS light come on I started looking for one with that capabilities. I ended up going with the INNOVA 3160, I got it for around $160, I just checked on Amazon and it’s currently $193 so its still in the consumer range for someone who wants one with ABS and more capabilities.

I’m not a pro or anything, but it met my needs for the 3 years I’ve had it. Has anyone else ever considered (or own) this scanner? If so what’s your opinion of it?[/quote]

I own a few INNOVA scanners. I have the 3150,3160 and a couple others. for basic code reading and some live data they are outstanding for the price. free updates and the emissions lights are nice also. Granted they are no where near on the level of the scanner that Scanner Danner had but for the money they work great for basic use.

BillBill
                      Participant

As always, I watch Scanner Danner’s videos and I think he is extremely good at what he does. I have a HUGE respect for him. It must be nice to have a School paying for the test equipment.

He shows us how cars need to be diagnosed these days with the knowledge and equipment required. Everything is gonna get even more complex in the future and will never go away. If anyone thinks otherwise they will be in for a rude awakening soon.

It’s helpful to see the top of the line test equipment available but as discussed in the video most DIYs wouldn’t even know how to start the damn thing.

I think the scan tool that Eric demonstrated is a POS in my opinion since I didn’t see a way to use it with a Windows based device. After all Microsoft invented Blue Tooth Technology.

For the average person it might supply enough info to get themselves in trouble.

We have an Autel scanner at work that was purchased from CARQUEST and an OTC Genisys. The first time I used the Autel scan tool I thought it was “Fisher Price” but after using it several times I find it very good. It has touch screen and is Bidirectional. I have no idea of the cost but knowing my employer it was certainly cheap.

One of my fellow employees just bought an Autel hand held scan tool from E-bay for his personal use and he says it works great.

I will try to find out more info and post it here.

Keymaster

[quote=”wysetech” post=89472]As always, I watch Scanner Danner’s videos and I think he is extremely good at what he does. I have a HUGE respect for him. It must be nice to have a School paying for the test equipment.

He shows us how cars need to be diagnosed these days with the knowledge and equipment required. Everything is gonna get even more complex in the future and will never go away. If anyone thinks otherwise they will be in for a rude awakening soon.

It’s helpful to see the top of the line test equipment available but as discussed in the video most DIYs wouldn’t even know how to start the damn thing.

I think the scan tool that Eric demonstrated is a POS in my opinion since I didn’t see a way to use it with a Windows based device. After all Microsoft invented Blue Tooth Technology.

For the average person it might supply enough info to get themselves in trouble.

We have an Autel scanner at work that was purchased from CARQUEST and an OTC Genisys. The first time I used the Autel scan tool I thought it was “Fisher Price” but after using it several times I find it very good. It has touch screen and is Bidirectional. I have no idea of the cost but knowing my employer it was certainly cheap.

One of my fellow employees just bought an Autel hand held scan tool from E-bay for his personal use and he says it works great.

I will try to find out more info and post it here.[/quote]

Honestly, I think the latest generation of scan tools address many of the ‘complexities’ that you speak of. Many of them, including the Actron you mentioned, are coming with information that can help fix the codes. This is something that was lacking from older scanners. You had to look it up in a book or the service manual. The latest computer based scanners have the capability to search the web as well as databases like Identifix for solutions to the codes you pull. If anything I think scanners are getting better at what they do and making diagnosis easier and less complex.

BTW the Actron works on Android devices as well. My only issue with the tool is the in app purchases. By the time you get done outfitting that tool with it’s full capabilities you could have just as easily bought a nice mid level scan tool. On the flip side you can outfit it rather inexpensively if you’re just using it for your own vehicle. But honestly, who wants to just do that?

LeonLeon
                          Participant

I finally watched this video and it has very valuable information for us DIY’ers. I’m finally getting to the point where I have enough knowledge that I can start using extra information from a higher end scan tool. For instance, seeing if the computer is reading if a fuel pressure regulator is faulty or why my high beams are faulty and where the fault is.

Keymaster

[quote=”Homer23″ post=104291]I finally watched this video and it has very valuable information for us DIY’ers. I’m finally getting to the point where I have enough knowledge that I can start using extra information from a higher end scan tool. For instance, seeing if the computer is reading if a fuel pressure regulator is faulty or why my high beams are faulty and where the fault is.[/quote]

Scan tools can be very useful in diagnosis if you know how to use them. The more practice you can get, the better. Good luck and thanks for your comment.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            Loading…