Menu

I Need a New Tool Box!

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG1 Video Discussions I Need a New Tool Box!

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

As you can see in the video, this is something that’s long overdue. As you can also see, I’m not in the habit of spending a lot of money on my tool boxes. I’ve always been more concerned with what was inside. However, I feel it’s time to ‘treat’ myself to something and a tool box seems like the perfect thing to invest in. After all, the rest of my shop is so awesome, why not my tool box?

I figured opening the discussion up to you would yield some interesting options that I could explore before I commit to something. So fire away, I’m curious about your input on this one.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Michael CrumlettMichael Crumlett
      Participant

Eric, I sympathize with you. When I left the shop to pursue a fleet management position, I sold off my 72″ Snap On box, ironically, to pay off my Snap On and Mac bills. I set my home garage up with a few Craftsman boxes, an old Kennedy box, and my ancient Matco top box. Everything that didn’t fit went on shelves or on pegboard. This is a less-than-perfect system, but I have lived with it for over a decade now.

Recently, I have moved from the fleet management industry, back into a shop. At first, I was supervising a bus garage. Because the mechanics’ union in the shop would file grievances every time a member of management did any work on the buses, I didn’t feel any need to have tools available, so it was no big deal. The tools could stay in boxes, on shelves, and hung on the walls in my home garage.

Now, however, I am in a different position. I recently took a position working for a municipal garage, again as a supervisor. This time, nobody gets too stressed if my hands get dirty, and I’ve been involved in quite a few repairs. This had me thinking of purchasing a tool box for the shop, so I talked to our Snap On guy (our shop isn’t currently serviced by Mac Tools) about a new box. After I received the quote from the Snap On guy, I decided that I was going to have to go with Plan B (or Plan HF, in this case). I just can’t justify $12,000 for a tool box.

If I look at tool box purchases like I do any other tool purchase, I just can’t make the math work out. When I bought my scanner, I figured out how many separate diagnostic charges it would take to pay for the tool. When I purchased most of my air tools, or my fuel pressure gauge set, or any of my specialty tools, the same. There is no amortization schedule that makes a new premium box a viable option for me. I’m not going to get any kind of return on my investment that will make that purchase worthwhile. Cost no object, sure, I’ll take the 3 bay Macsimizer Plus with the side cabinets, lighted riser, and custom anodized drawer pulls. Because cost is n object, I’ll be stopping at Harbor Freight for their 72″ box. It costs a tenth of what my Snap On guy quoted me for a smaller toolbox and has decent casters, roller slides, and a lifetime warranty. Are the premium brands better? Yeah, much better, but I can pay cash for the HF box. No weekly payments, no finance charges, and I’m $10k ahead of the game on just the purchase price.

Hopefully you can swing a deal for some promotional considerations from Mac Tools and get your Macsimizer at a discount. I’d even click on sponsored content videos to support that.

zerozero
        Participant

My Mac toolbox is probably one of my 5 best purchases. That think will probably outlast me. Had a cheap one, ran out of space and bought another cheap one. Ran out of space again, partially due to horrible drawer layout and told one of my truck reps that I wanted to buy a used box of approximate size. A lesser box will just need to be replaced again in the near future.

The only other option, other than a pro series tool box, would be one of those systems that some dealerships are now installing. There’s probably more options out ther, but these are the first 2 results I got: http://www.stanleyvidmar.com/ http://www.lista-automotive.com/
          I think they may be more of a “permanent” installation though.

Alex ThurstonAlex Thurston
          Participant

Wow, my tools are kept in some old laboratory cupboards I grabbed out of a skip at a job I was working on. I’d love some proper toolboxes like these but they cost more than any of the cars I’ve ever owned! 🙂

Keymaster

A lot of people have suggested a box from Harbor Freight. While I agree that those are excellent tool boxes for the money, I was looking for something a little more ‘professional’.

I have been checking Craigs List almost daily. I actually have a few boxes picked out. I’ve found units from Snap-on, Mac, and Matco. All of them look like good deals.

However I’ve been talking to the people at Mac about a Macsimizer. This week (Feb 22, 2017) is their annual tool fair so I likely won’t hear back form them till next week. If they’re not able to work with me, I’ll likely go with one of the CL options I mentioned.

No matter what, I feel a new tool box is overdue. Some have suggested that I clean out my existing box, I’ve already done that.

Some have also suggested that I move some tools to a pegboard. I’ve done that as well. I’ve put a lot of my screwdrivers and pliers above my workbench. I also moved a lot of tools to the shelf I showed in the video.

Some have also mentioned some type of tool cabinet storage solution. I’m not really keen on that for a couple of reasons. The first is that I’m renting my shop so I’ll have to move someday. The second reason is that if this ‘YouTube’ thing doesn’t work out, it would be nice to have a box I can wheel into another job. Lastly, I’ve wanted a nice tool box for several years now. I think it’s time.

My point is, I believe I’ve taken things as far as I can with my existing tool storage. I appreciate everyones input on this. I’ve gotten a lot of great ideas from it.

I’ll keep you posted on how things turn out.

James O'HaraJames O’Hara
              Participant

Same Quality as Mac or Snap-Off 1/3 the price http://extremetools.net/ If you really think about it a toolbox just holds tools and has roller bearings. That is all it does. It does not make you money. It might make you slightly more efficient, but not enough so to make you more money.

Your toolbox tbh still looks half empty when compared to mine. I have very little specialty tools. In all honesty it is just something to hold your stuff and keep it safe. You should look to your own forum as well as we always recommend estate sales, craigs list, ebay, let go, and pawn shops never forget pawn shops.

Wes SchreinerWes Schreiner
                Participant

Hey Eric

I have been using my Matco 4s for about 6 years now since I have been out of tech school. Bought my rollaway and the hutch at the same time, added on the second full length drawer a few years later. That was a major upgrade because I am pretty tall, (way easier to work in the hutch, with extra space). It was about in the same shape as your setup until I got an off brand rollaway locker/cabinet (that matches the paint!) for xmas last year.

I love my Matco because it’s tough. I can roll out my full bottom drawer and jump my 280lb self up and down on it and it still rolls shut just fine. (No, I don’t do it often, just to prove a point to the Harbor Freight nuts.)

My opinion has always been get the best box to suit your needs for the money that fits your taste. Matco, Snap-on, Cornwell, or Mac. All of the big 4 make good tool boxes. I just preferred what Matco had when I was looking for my first professional box. I’m probably going to upgrade to a Matco 6s as soon as I accumulate too many tools for this one and my cabinet. It’s sad, I just paid this one off.

Keymaster

[quote=”rodentwrench” post=184356]Hey Eric

I have been using my Matco 4s for about 6 years now since I have been out of tech school. Bought my rollaway and the hutch at the same time, added on the second full length drawer a few years later. That was a major upgrade because I am pretty tall, (way easier to work in the hutch, with extra space). It was about in the same shape as your setup until I got an off brand rollaway locker/cabinet (that matches the paint!) for xmas last year.

I love my Matco because it’s tough. I can roll out my full bottom drawer and jump my 280lb self up and down on it and it still rolls shut just fine. (No, I don’t do it often, just to prove a point to the Harbor Freight nuts.)

My opinion has always been get the best box to suit your needs for the money that fits your taste. Matco, Snap-on, Cornwell, or Mac. All of the big 4 make good tool boxes. I just preferred what Matco had when I was looking for my first professional box. I’m probably going to upgrade to a Matco 6s as soon as I accumulate too many tools for this one and my cabinet. It’s sad, I just paid this one off.[/quote]

A few people have suggested Matco. I’ve actually got a bunch of boxes saved in my browser off of Craigs List. A couple are Matco. They do look really nice. right now I’m waiting to hear back from Mac. I’m thinking that will be some time next week. If I can’t work a deal with them, I’m likely going to go with one of the boxes off of Craigs List.

Thanks for your input.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…