Menu

How To Use Plastigage

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum How To Use Plastigage

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

This is another one from the ‘basics’ series. If you’re putting together an engine, or you suspect your clearances aren’t correct, Plastigage is one of the quickest ways to check. What are your thoughts?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      A toyotakarlIts me

Great Video!

To add… One of the best investments I ever made was a Snap on Techangle wrench… Just digitally select the Ft-lbs and then the angle and it automatically lets you know with a beep and vibration when you are reaching the prescribed torque and then angle… Practically no thought involved….

While it is pricier than a regular torque wrench ($479.95 US for a 3/8 drive with 5-100 Ft-lbs)…. if you do enough of this kind of work, the time it saves from constantly re-setting a manual angle gauge makes it totally worth it….

http://store.snapon.com/TECHANGLE-174-Models-2-Accuracy-Ratcheting-Flex-Head-Torque-Wrench-Electronic-TECHANGLE-174-Flex-Ratchet-5-to-100-ft-lbs-3-8-drive-P759379.aspx

Lee AnnLee Ann

Perfect timing! Thank you Eric for this video.

Keymaster

[quote=”ToyotaKarl” post=94075]Great Video!

To add… One of the best investments I ever made was a Snap on Techangle wrench… Just digitally select the Ft-lbs and then the angle and it automatically lets you know with a beep and vibration when you are reaching the prescribed torque and then angle… Practically no thought involved….

While it is pricier than a regular torque wrench ($479.95 US for a 3/8 drive with 5-100 Ft-lbs)…. if you do enough of this kind of work, the time it saves from constantly re-setting a manual angle gauge makes it totally worth it….

http://store.snapon.com/TECHANGLE-174-Models-2-Accuracy-Ratcheting-Flex-Head-Torque-Wrench-Electronic-TECHANGLE-174-Flex-Ratchet-5-to-100-ft-lbs-3-8-drive-P759379.aspx

Those are pretty.

RereonehundredRereonehundred
            Participant

Similar to Plastigage, we often would use soft lead solder then measure its thickness after the crush. But that’s an aside.

One of my worries with Plastigage is the repeated use of the big end bolts. Do you think these big end bolts are OK for multiple uses? I’ve come across a lot of single use fasteners.

Keymaster

[quote=”Rereonehundred” post=94225]Similar to Plastigage, we often would use soft lead solder then measure its thickness after the crush. But that’s an aside.

One of my worries with Plastigage is the repeated use of the big end bolts. Do you think these big end bolts are OK for multiple uses? I’ve come across a lot of single use fasteners.[/quote]

Good point. I think there good for a couple of passes. Thing is, they’re studs that are pressed into the rod so if you needed to change them it’s a little more involved than just swapping them out.

BillBill
                Participant

Another great video but being the fussy “old fart” that I am I would have placed the bearing in the rod cap before installing it to make sure the tang is seated into the notch in the cap.

Keymaster

[quote=”wysetech” post=94844]Another great video but being the fussy “old fart” that I am I would have placed the bearing in the rod cap before installing it to make sure the tang is seated into the notch in the cap.[/quote]

Yea that’s been mentioned a few times in the comments. Thanks for your input.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…