Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Nissan Sentra Power Steering Rack & High PSI Hose

Nissan Sentra Power Steering Rack & High PSI Hose

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum Nissan Sentra Power Steering Rack & High PSI Hose

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

This job left my arms sore, cut up, and raw. It took a week to heal. But at the end of the day, I thought of Jerry and the pain he went through after having an air plain drop on him during the Vietnam war, and realized how lucky I was to have the ability to replace a power steering rack in this car.

Thanks all I have to say about that.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Brian BurkeBrian Burke
      Participant

When you do a job like this, how do you know how many brackets it has and other specs you need to know? Experience? Eye-balling? Shop manuals? Great work getting that rack out of there. Looked difficult.

Keymaster

Parts replacement is usually pretty straightforward. That’s what this was. Sometimes looking at the new part can give you an idea of how it’s fastened in the vehicle.

Jason WhiteJason White
          Participant

With Nissan’s the P/S high pressure lines are often one of the more difficult items to do. The Quest minivans are an absolute nightmare! We charge 4hrs and it’s barely worth it. So Eric, don’t beat yourself up about getting beat up, because those beat up veteran Nissan techs sometimes.

RereonehundredRereonehundred
            Participant

Hondas and Toyotas have hauled me around since 1977. I run them until they drop, which is usually rust of body work. In the average 15 years of a cars life I’ve change the PSF about every 5 years. Never had any rack problems. The first Honda had no PS.

CecilCecil
              Participant

I started watching some of your YouTube videos, and when I came across the ones of this Sentra, I didn’t see any mention of checking the butterfly screws or pre-cat failure. So I joined here and looked around the forum threads on this car and didn’t see anyone bring it up either. They are two very common failure points for 2002-2004 Sentras and Altimas with the 2.5l. I wanted to see if you were aware of them, and if not wanted to point you to information on them.
                http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=135241

With the car having as many miles as it does, it probably has had those addressed in the past. Those issues seem to cause major issues around 80-120k. But I thought it would still be a good idea to check in to it.

Keymaster

[quote=”ctmnismo” post=159191]I started watching some of your YouTube videos, and when I came across the ones of this Sentra, I didn’t see any mention of checking the butterfly screws or pre-cat failure. So I joined here and looked around the forum threads on this car and didn’t see anyone bring it up either. They are two very common failure points for 2002-2004 Sentras and Altimas with the 2.5l. I wanted to see if you were aware of them, and if not wanted to point you to information on them.

With the car having as many miles as it does, it probably has had those addressed in the past. Those issues seem to cause major issues around 80-120k. But I thought it would still be a good idea to check in to it.[/quote]

I do mention that in an upcoming video. Many people mentioned it in the comments of the first video I posted with the Sentra.

Also keep in mind that the car left the shop 2 months ago. So I really can’t do any more repairs at this point.

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.

Keymaster

[quote=”Jasonw1178″ post=159174]With Nissan’s the P/S high pressure lines are often one of the more difficult items to do. The Quest minivans are an absolute nightmare! We charge 4hrs and it’s barely worth it. So Eric, don’t beat yourself up about getting beat up, because those beat up veteran Nissan techs sometimes.[/quote]

Actually that does make me feel a bit better. Thanks.

Brian BurkeBrian Burke
                    Participant

I just watched the Ford Explorer wheel bearing video and that one seemed like an even bigger nightmare. How do extra-long jobs like this affect what you charge a customer? You quote them a price but if it takes you twice as long as you estimated, you eat that cost? Can you call someone and say, hey, I need to hit you with 2 more hours of labor?

CecilCecil
                      Participant

[quote=”EricTheCarGuy” post=159192][quote=”ctmnismo” post=159191]I started watching some of your YouTube videos, and when I came across the ones of this Sentra, I didn’t see any mention of checking the butterfly screws or pre-cat failure. So I joined here and looked around the forum threads on this car and didn’t see anyone bring it up either. They are two very common failure points for 2002-2004 Sentras and Altimas with the 2.5l. I wanted to see if you were aware of them, and if not wanted to point you to information on them.

With the car having as many miles as it does, it probably has had those addressed in the past. Those issues seem to cause major issues around 80-120k. But I thought it would still be a good idea to check in to it.[/quote]

I do mention that in an upcoming video. Many people mentioned it in the comments of the first video I posted with the Sentra.

Also keep in mind that the car left the shop 2 months ago. So I really can’t do any more repairs at this point.

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.[/quote]
                        No problem.

Didn’t realize your vids were that far out after shooting.

Out of curiosity were either of those an issue, or do we have to wait for the next video to find out?

Keymaster

[quote=”bkord123″ post=159211]I just watched the Ford Explorer wheel bearing video and that one seemed like an even bigger nightmare. How do extra-long jobs like this affect what you charge a customer? You quote them a price but if it takes you twice as long as you estimated, you eat that cost? Can you call someone and say, hey, I need to hit you with 2 more hours of labor?[/quote]

Michael BennettMichael Bennett
                          Participant

My son has a 2002 Sentra GXE that was my wife’s car that we held on to for the kids to drive while in high school. We have done quite a bit of work to this car over the years and seeing those videos about the Sentra sparked my interest and then specifically seeing this video was great. We have to do this to his Sentra when it warms up. The rack is leaking about a half quart a day from the boot on the passenger side. I have already bought a refurbished rack and tie rods for it. I have a friend who is an ASE certified mechanic offered to do it for $100 in his free time which means it could be one day or 2 weeks just basically drop it off and when he gets time he gets time. It’s well worth paying someone $100 to do it but I am not sure my son could be without his car for an extended period of time. So after watching this video it solidified me not wanting to do it personally.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Loading…