Menu

OBD3

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
    Participant

hhmm…, I can’t wait to see how that all goes.

ChevypowerChevypower
      Participant

Oh it gets worse. I remember the OBD lectures in class early this year that turned into full blown war and debate. OBD3 could report your speed to the insurance company, and police dept. It would be able to report ANY vehicle malfunctions and if you don’t repair them, you get ticketed or whatever. OBD3 has been held off because it is a violation of our privacy.

When OBD3 does come out, do us all a favor: refuse to buy that horse shit!

americantractorsamericantractors
        Participant

I agree 100% with the invasion of privacy thing but i honestly cant tell if this system even exists. I cant find any concrete information about it and i cant imagine any car maker would embrace it because there sales would plummet.

Shaun_300Shaun_300
          Participant

We have Global A in a bunch of newer vehicles, Started with the 2010 Equinox, Terrain, Camaro. Now the Cruze and Buick Regal and Lacrosse use it. Tech 2’s cannot be used. Need the MDI plugged into the DLC and the GDS 2 program on a laptop does the scanner part wirelessly. It’s much more advanced. Works good when it works, still kind of new so there’s still some glitches and problems we encounter. GM also came out with a computer software program called Tech2WIN, used in the same configuration as GDS 2 with the MDI. It can also run wireless. Again, still has it’s glitches and I find myself using a Tech 2 90% of the time.

Haven’t heard anything about an OBD 3.

jacobnbr1jacobnbr1
            Participant

Everything needed to invade privacy exists right now within obd2. The only reason for changing that connector is to streamline revenue for new tools.

Not sure why the car needs a special VIM to hook up to when software alone is all that is needed and an obd2 connector.

A wireless device module could be integrated real easy and for the most part already exist through Onstar but are not a global standard but will soon be.

Link Onstar with the smart body control module (AKA The Gateway) and you have any information you want right down to how many people are in the vehicle.

GrayfoxGrayfox
              Participant

OBD 3 is not even being made yet.

Tony01013Tony01013
                Participant

When OBD-II came out and until very recently, there were five protocols that car manufactures used to communicate with a OBD-II scanner. They were Pulse Width Modulation (Ford), Variable Pulse Width (GM), ISO 9141-2 (Some Chrysler, European and Asian), KWP2000 (mostly Asian) and the CAN bus protocol. Basically they all had different communication networks, but they all had to meet the criteria of the OBD-II standards and have standardized diagnostic trouble codes. This is why when you look at a diagnostic link connector there is 16 pins in it. One pin is battery voltage, one pin is chassis ground, another pin is signal ground, but the rest of the pins are the + and – sides of all those protocols.

After 2008 (I think), all cars made for the U.S. market have to use the CAN bus protocol. This has a higher data rate and allows all of the various modules to communicate efficiently over fewer wires. It’s still technically OBD-II and will work with OBD-II diagnostic tools. When OBD-II came out it really didn’t standardize all the computer systems, it just included all the communications that the manufactures currently used. It also standardized all the trouble codes, so a misfire code in a GM would be the same code in Honda, but the way the ECU communicated this to the scan tool was entirely different. Now all the new cars use the same network protocol, so all the communication are standardized and the same.

Also, I think that all cars made for the ’12 model year and after have to have ABS and ESP(Electronic Stability Control) standard. And the NHTSA(National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) is considering whether of not to mandate a Pre-collision braking system. That system would use a laser range finder to determine if a crash is imminent and apply the brakes automatically to prevent a crash.

I’m just waiting until the cars will drive themselves.

GrayfoxGrayfox
                  Participant

Quoted From Tony01013:And the NHTSA(National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) is considering whether of not to mandate a Pre-collision braking system. That system would use a laser range finder to determine if a crash is imminent and apply the brakes automatically to prevent a crash.

Well we all know how good this stuff really is when it comes to stopping, just ask volvo.

I’m just waiting until the cars will drive themselves.

Lenny: Look homers got one of them robot cars
                    *Crash*
                    Carl: One of them American robot cars

redfuryredfury
                    Participant

I don’t want ASIMO or Google for that matter in the drivers seat thank you.

Short of not being able to support new sensor systems, is there any more information you could/would want that OBD2 already provides? Seems that OBD2 protocol ( integrated in 1996 ) has been adapted for everything up to and including Hybrid drivetrains. I suppose OBD3 would encompass all vehicle systems into one protocol….ABS, TCS, etc.

MattMatt
                      Participant

I was told during one of my advanced diagnostic teacher’s rants that OBDII cars contain a ‘black box’ like those used in aeroplanes. If you get into a wreck, the police can tap into the box and view info at the time of say, air bag deployment and see how fast you were going, whether or not you applied the brakes, if you had your seatbelt on etc. This allows the police the ability to determine more clearly the cause of crashes, and who’s at fault. This seems totally reasonable to me, and is obviously feasible. Anyone else hear this?

redfuryredfury
                        Participant

Quoted From Beefy:

I was told during one of my advanced diagnostic teacher’s rants that OBDII cars contain a ‘black box’ like those used in aeroplanes. If you get into a wreck, the police can tap into the box and view info at the time of say, air bag deployment and see how fast you were going, whether or not you applied the brakes, if you had your seatbelt on etc. This allows the police the ability to determine more clearly the cause of crashes, and who’s at fault. This seems totally reasonable to me, and is obviously feasible. Anyone else hear this?

On the newer cars, sure. Some insurance agencies are trying to get people to volunteer to have them installed in their cars for cheaper insurance reasons ( of course, that’s what they say anyway ). You can get them for your teenagers car so that you can track their movements and see what they are doing to the car when it’s in their hands as well. The tech exists, it’s just a matter of which cars manufacturers decided to put it in. Likely anything with ONSTAR has the capability.

MattMatt
                          Participant

Quoted From redfury:

On the newer cars, sure. Some insurance agencies are trying to get people to volunteer to have them installed in their cars for cheaper insurance reasons ( of course, that’s what they say anyway ). You can get them for your teenagers car so that you can track their movements and see what they are doing to the car when it’s in their hands as well. The tech exists, it’s just a matter of which cars manufacturers decided to put it in. Likely anything with ONSTAR has the capability.

Yeh, I’ve seen those Progressive insurance commercials. Last spring when I was in my Service Ops class, we had a couple cars come in with those little memory boxes hooked up to the DLC connector. My instructor however was of the opinion that they could pull the info from said ‘black box’ even if you didn’t have that little doohickey. He probably has guns buried in his back yard and a bomb shelter as well, but I can’t disagree with him.

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
                            Participant

Quoted From Beefy:

Yeh, I’ve seen those Progressive insurance commercials. Last spring when I was in my Service Ops class, we had a couple cars come in with those little memory boxes hooked up to the DLC connector. My instructor however was of the opinion that they could pull the info from said ‘black box’ even if you didn’t have that little doohickey. He probably has guns buried in his back yard and a bomb shelter as well, but I can’t disagree with him.

Huh.., you guys don’t have a bomb shelter too? haha
                              Thats funny.
                              As for buried guns.., I might know some people who would do that..

johnzcarzjohnzcarz
                              Participant

Quoted From americantractors:

hello. I am wondering if anyone has any information regarding obd3. According to many car forums, obd3 will start to be on cars in 2012. They claim that the obd3 system will communicate to a central database that would require you to fix emmission type problems much quicker, eliminating the need for inspections. More information is on this site. http://www.me.umn.edu/~byronr/vw/obd3.txt The question i have is is this true? It sounds like a load of crap to me and the only info i can find on the subject are unconfermed reports on car forums.

That agrees with what I had read a while back that OBD3 would include a way for the vehicle to communicate with the state

John SchulzJohn Schulz
                                Participant

Bring it. Why is everyone concerned about their privacy? Is there something immoral going on in your life that you don’t want anyone to know about? The obd3 is more about keeping reliable cars on the road, than finding out where you were at 2 in the morning. Think about it, if every car has obd3, it would be easy to track a stolen vehicle or a vehicle that was used in a crime. Honest hard-working Americans should not have to worry about this. Only dishonest and paranoid people are worried about stuff like this.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Loading…